Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Tools for a M4A1 build.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Need Tools for a M4A1 build.

I need the list of Punchs and other tools need for a upper and lower build. I have from Brownells DPMS Upper Rec block and a Smith Enterprize barrel wrench and a Brownells front sight block. I made my own Handguard removal tool. Please list the part with part number from Brownells catalog.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    These are nice to have tools if you work on ARs a lot or build more than 1 or 2.

I recommend getting a fairly large bench mounted vise. We use a 5" Wilton vise at work.

Neds MOACKS

Adco tools Adco has some excellent tools, the gas tube roll pin punch, and the bolt catch roll pin punches are awesome

PRI barrel nut wrench perfect for installing LaRue, YHM and other non-steel barrel nuts without damaging them has 5 longer pins that engage the holes in the barrel nut instead of 2 or 3 short pins if using a DPMS or USGI wrench

Yankee Hill forearm wrench part #YHM-9621 works well for tightening down the locking ring on YHM rails and for tightening/loosening YHM bbl nuts w/o causing damage, It works well for DPMS AP4 (.308) locking rings as well

Daniel Defense tools if you plan on installing DD rails

DPMS bbl wrench I use this bbl wrench the most

Craftsman Tappet wrench set I use these very thin wrenches for removing rifle receiver extensions, removing/installing flash hiders (they don't scratch the crush washer), largest one fits the AAC suppressor mounts as well

large bolt cutters for cutting and removing delta ring/ snap ring and weld spring

Pipe wrench rarely used but when the bbl nut is damn near welded on, I cut the delta ring, snap ring and weld spring (with a large set of bolt cutters above) and remove and use the pipe wrench to remove the bbl nut (I have about 15 spare bbl nuts)

bolt, ejector tool

FF, rail alignment tool

DPMS AR10/SR25 barrel wrench for installing/removing AR10/SR25/DPMS (.308) rails/bbl nuts

A2 rear sight tool

M4 stock tool

upper receiver block

other upper and lower receiver blocks I rarely use this type of upper block because it leaves marks on upper receivers

strap wrench

free float wrench rarely used but sometimes the only way to remove some FF tubes and not damaging them

coated barrel vice blocks perfect for changing flash hiders without twisting the barrel within the action, it doesn't leave marks on the barrel like aluminum blocks, I have 2 sets one stock set (works for 20-24" rifle bbls and 16" M4 bbls) and I had a set cut in half (works on mid-length 16" and 14.5" bbls in a 6" vise)

handguard tool makes removing/installing plastic handguards easy by yourself

various tools I recommend buying the FSB bench block, bbl nut alignment gauge, firing pin protrusion gauge, 5.56mm NATO FIELD headspace gauge, and a complete set of roll pin starters and roll pin punches and a small brass hammer, taper pin punch & USGI bbl wrench
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I forgot to add I have a Rockriver stock wrench and don't plan on adding a FF tube to my Build. My Smith Enterprize barrel wrench has work great on barrel nuts.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawdog-1 View Post
    I forgot to add I have a Rockriver stock wrench and don't plan on adding a FF tube to my Build. My Smith Enterprize barrel wrench has work great on barrel nuts.
    If you plan on changing more than a couple of stocks or stocks that are staked on do yourself a favor and get the Brownells stock wrench and save yourself the frustration of breaking your sheetmetal wrench. Use plenty of heat for removing stocks that come on factory built RRA rifles, they for some reason think that Loc-Tite is needed here.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sorry, to askbut, I didn.t know if I could get some of those Punchs, I see a whole buch of bunch of punchs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Brownells is out of stock on all the roll pins punchs sets.

Feedback Score
    The rollpin punches should be in soon I have had some on backorder for sometime.

Feedback Score
    I never had to change a flash hider before is this block something that should be used or cn you just hold on really tight to the barrel?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...RREL+VISE+JAWS

Feedback Score
    Hey Robb what do you think of the DPMS multi tool or others like it?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
    Hey Robb what do you think of the DPMS multi tool or others like it?
    I use one a lot and the rubber lined vise blocks as well. See my tool thread https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7463

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast