Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ak or FAL?

Feedback Score

Ak or FAL?

Just looking for some opinions here. I just finished my most recent M-4 build and an now looking for something different to sink my teeth into. I am trying to decide between buying a AK or having a FAL built.

I want both but I have laid out way too much money on guns over the last 6 months, and right now my "fun" funds are running low. So buying both right now is out of the question. Hopefully later next year I can follow on with the other one. Any one have any thoughts on which way they would go if they were in the same position?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    As always, it depends upon the application.

I will say that .308 ammo is very expensive right now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    As always, it depends upon the application.

I will say that .308 ammo is very expensive right now.
    Right now the application will be nothing more than fun and hopefully a Vickers class next year.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Except for price, and that is only as important as it is for you, the FAL trumps the AK in every way.

Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    In case anyone is keeping score, Cameron just won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    Cameron won again.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Except for price, and that is only as important as it is for you, the FAL trumps the AK in every way.

Cameron
    Well, it depends on the application, of course.

The AK is much handier because it is a true carbine. Follow up shots are faster, it is lighter and had a larger capacity standard magazine.

The FAL is a battle rifle, has much longer practical range etc.

I would not want to take a FAL in to clear a structure, and I would not want to shoot 200 m with an AK. Both great guns, just figure out which application is more important to you right now.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thats a tough one.
    Having various versions of both its a hard call. The AKs are very fun and ammo is cheaper at this time. The FALs are very reliable and will shoot distance well with a stronger round.
    Don't shoot my FALs much right now because of ammo prices but ain't getting ride of'm either.

I'd say see about getting or saving for a good FAL kit and reciever and sitting on it and go ahead and buy an AK for shooting now. When you have more funds get the FAL built. At least you'll have the parts for when your ready.
    Think the FAL kits are going to be getting harder to come by and pricier down the road.
    Where as AKs, especially kits like the Romanian G kits are in good supply and in good condition. AKs aren't costing that much right now so the time is good for a kit to have built or buying a complete rifle. But the time of good FAL kits at good prices is fading so I'd buy and sit on it.
    Course you could buy a DSA FAL but its going to cost you.

Feedback Score
    I'm currently living and working in a land full of AK's, they're cheap and there's heaps of ammo everywhere. But i would never use one by choice, I've been working in a close environment and using an 11" barreled FAL. Now i'm working in more rural areas so have swapped that rifle out for a 16" barrel.

A loaded FAL (even with only 20 rnd mag) is heavier than an AK with 30 rnds but more usable in my opinion.

Ak's are a great "fun" rifle because they are cheap and ammo is cheap. There are now heaps of aftermarket stuff for them too. But being cheap and redily available doesn't make them a good rifle.

I know there are heaps of die hard AK lovers on the forum here, don't be upset this is only my opinion.

An AK will do the job, but if given the choice i'll go the FAL every time.

Tim

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I think the AK is potentially more useful and interesting.

1. The AK is the most common rifle in the world. As a gun lover, you should have and be proficient with one.
    2. The ammo is still fairly cheap. It is damn near dirt cheap if you build an AK-74.
    3. Getting to know the Ak well can have other benefits too. Lets face it, most gun owners are not good shots. I have found that a better than average shooter like myself with an AK can easily outshoot average or worse shooters with ARs with all manner of tactical doo-dadery. I went to a service rifle match with my Hungarian AK and basically got laughed at. The laughing stopped when I came in third. Granted, I would have done better with a 20 inch AR with A2 sights, but that isn't the point.
    4. The AK is one of those guns that you could imagine being useful in a true emergency. Not to sound paranoid, but when some jerk finally sets a nuke off in NY or whatever, the government is very likely to collapse, at least temporarily. Depending on where you live, you could see pandaemonium in the streets that will make Katrina look like a Arbor day festival. An AK and about 1000 rounds of ammo would be a nice tool for the kit. I know a FAL would be great too, but the AK would be, ultimately, more robust and much easier to keep fed. Plus, 1000 rounds of .308 ammo is now 1 million dollars.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Utterly agree with Tim, even though his 11" OSW DSA FN rattled my teeth when he'd touch it off from the 'car'.

I'm not an AK fan at the best of times - I train with them to be familiar for battlefield pickup - but given a choice I'd take the FN. I have 3 here (2 thanks to Tim) what can I say its a gunowners paradise.
    I dont have an Ak

Ergonomic wise, and accuracy wise the FN has it all over the Ak.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score

I love my DSA Paratrooper FAL

It's hard to beat, sub MOA at 100 yaerds from a 16" fluted stainless barrel:

That said, you can save nearly $3,000 and get an AK...get a Noveske AR and Remington 700 with the change...AK's have their place, reliable, cheapo to manufacture. Accurate (maybe a few), but not in same class. I still want one though, before the Dems ban everything one again!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast