Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a 6.8 spc worth it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Other than that..... the cartrige is useless.
    Then why does SF use it?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    Then why does SF use it?
    Let's assume for a moment that they do (I'd like to see documentation that they do, and how, but that's probably a bit much to ask)...

If they do, they aren't paying for it individually for one thing. For another, they actually would have a need perceived need for greater energy downrange than the average paper, cardboard, or steel target.

Feedback Score
    "Other than that..... the cartrige is useless."
    I must respectfully disagree. If an AR15 is used for duty, self-defense, or hunting, then 6.8 mm is an extremely versatile and effective cartridge--it is at least as accurate as 5.56 mm, works better in short barrels than 5.56 mm, creates substantially larger wounds than 5.56 mm, and defeats intermediate barriers better than 5.56 mm.

For punching paper, going to training classes, or for folks who get free 5.56 mm ammunition at work, then 6.8 mm is probably not a viable option due to ammunition costs...

Feedback Score
    Based on what I've read around the interwebs there is value in 6.8 SPC or any of the newer AR family of cartridges. However, there isn't, nor ever will be, a universal "1-size-fits-all" cartridge.

So the big question is actually back to the OP. What is it worth to you in terms of improved ballistics? If you want the best ballistics, get a 50BMG upper (they exist in single shot capacity I beleive, or did when I first started around 12 years ago).

You want most capacity? Get a pistol or 22 AR variant! You want a tradeoff of capacity vs power? Look in the 5.56 "family" of AR cartridges.

Want long distance performance?
    6.5 Grendel, 7.62 Nato, 300 WIn Mag.

But only you can really answer what your needs are. There are some real benefits and costs with going to 6.8. But that's a decision you can make with your cash, we can probably only tell what the costs and benefits are. Some will think it is worth it, some won't. In the end, you have to answer only to yourself.

Feedback Score
    I went through the same process and decided to go with the grendel due to better ballistics compared to the 6.8. The problem I was warned about was lack of ammo for the grendel. I've yet to have problems getting ammo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Let's assume for a moment that they do (I'd like to see documentation that they do, and how, but that's probably a bit much to ask)...

If they do, they aren't paying for it individually for one thing. For another, they actually would have a need perceived need for greater energy downrange than the average paper, cardboard, or steel target.
    They helped design it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.8_mm_Remington_SPC

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokkolm View Post
    He said "use".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

That is exactly it. You have read the devolpment, right? The M4 isn't the best at long distance with the M855, aka green tip.

As for requisition, it isn't like SF would say what they ask for. But somebody is buying it.

And the 6.5 Grendel is inferior. It excels in one area, and it isn't an area the 6.8 was made for. The 6.8 is better out of a 16 inch barrel or shorter than the 6.5. The 6.5 was looked at. The 7mm was looked at. The 6.5 has that good ballistic profile, the 7mm hits harder. The 6.8 is the best compromise. Just like the original 270 that didn't get adopted because the 30.06 needed to get used up.

I appreciate the civil discourse on what seems to be a somewhat controversial topic.
    Last edited by Nick M; 03-20-11 at 10:23.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'd rather have 125gr .300 blackout.

Normal AR15 bolt and magazines.

I can gun Colt bolts and not have to worry about the substandard metallurgy in aftermarket stuff.

I don't have to pay $35 a magazine and worry about another AWB ban taking the limited supply of 6.8 mags away.

I get equal ballistics with .300 blackout under 200 yards when compared to 6.8.

I have the ability to have subsonic suppressed.

Like rob said, I have never thought I needed 6.8 in the spark of a moment.

I have other rifles to go hunting with.
    Last edited by scottryan; 03-20-11 at 20:20.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    I'd rather have 125gr .300 blackout. Well, we aren't talking about that. But for discussion sake, ok. It's the new kid on the block, and maybe in a few years, it will be as widely available, too. Right now, not so much. Less than 6.5G.

Normal AR15 bolt and magazines. Right, an advantage. Still need a different barrel, tho.

I can gun Colt bolts and not have to worry about the substandard metallurgy in aftermarket stuff. More likely in 5.56, the 6.8 bolt I have is an ITS. They aren't junk.

I don't have to pay $35 a magazine and worry about another AWB ban taking the limited supply of 6.8 mags away. Speculative, I don't live in fear. D&H is coming out with mags April/May in the $25 range. Announced at SHOT, BCM waiting to nail down the details. 6.8 shooters only seem to need a few, not a footlocker full.

I get equal ballistics with .300 blackout under 200 yards when compared to 6.8. OK if that's your preference, some want to reach out to 500m. 6.8 does.

I have the ability to have subsonic suppressed. The 6.8 was designed to be 200fps faster than the 7.62x39, and 40% more powerful than 5.56. Running subsonic suppressed isn't what combat carbines are about. That's a much more limited CQB role.

Like rob said, I have never thought I needed 6.8 in the spark of a moment. Actually, I thought about it for a few months, and realized it fit most of what I wanted a hunting rifle to do. It shouldn't be an impulsive choice.

I have other rifles to go hunting with. I have other rifles, too, and they aren't so great after lugging them around for years. Different people favor different qualities in their firearms.

Frankly, nobody has to like a caliber,, ask the .308 fans from the '70s who prevented the .300 Whisper wildcats getting into matches. It didn't stop them, time moves on, and people make new decisions. Even the AMU switched to M16's, and what do you know, that's what wins matches today.

A caliber is just part of how to set up a tool to be used, like matching a socket to a bolt head. 6.8SPC fits in pretty good used on live targets, as it was designed and intended. That's what many shooters choose it for.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast