Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a 6.8 spc worth it?

Feedback Score
    Surplus military firearms are what made the American gun market what it is today. What has happened with the AR is that we have over 20 million soldier, sailors, airman, and Marines trained on it for over 45 years - and not one of them can buy one surplus.

And yet they all know for a fact their fathers and grandfathers got to buy them, shoot them, and hunt with them - and hunting is the only live target you can engage in.

Hunting hasn't hurt the AR at all, and the AR isn't going to hurt hunting, either. From the sporter 'O3's, Mausers, Enfields, Arisakas, and SKS's, we've had one type of gun that is affordable and can be used.

I started hunting deer when HK91's were $160 - and used one with a 1Gen Aimpoint in the 1970's. I wasn't about to use a lever action (all I do use now until the AR build is complete in the next few weeks.) The HK has significant advantages over a Rem 700 bolt gun, and I'll likely not go back to using that again. Point being, the advantages of a ergonomically laid out firearm that doesn't lose its sight picture during recoil and invites shooting it without flinching has as much to offer the hunter as it does a combat soldier.

I thoroughly expect the AR design to seriously influence hunting rifle design in the future - as either a direct semi auto rendition, or with the significant design features. The BLR already is using the multilug barrel extension, and Savage the barrel nut. A simple upper extrusion using a shortened bolt carrier and having a straight pull handle is entirely possible - and styled classically, would have the potential to sell quite well. Ask Blaser, who has simply evolutionized the design with a collet lock, instead of a turning bolt head.

I certainly don't excuse the cartridge as being "good enough for hunting." It wasn't even meant for it originally, it was specifically meant as a combat round with more power and range than 5.56, which means more lethality. That is proves to actually do that on deer and hogs is simply widespread anecdotal evidence that SF and the AMU knew their stuff. Combined, the 6.8SPC in the AR is, to me, a synergistic pairing that makes the whole better than the parts separately. That's coming from a guy who thought .308 was completely superior, and the Stoner design inferior, so much I put my money on other guns for the entire 22 years I was forced to suffer using the M16.

I found out I was entirely wrong about the gun - and the 6.8SPC is about as well placed right now as anything. With millions of prior servicemen and women now approaching a time when they want to own their generation's combat rifle, the AR is and will be in great demand, and using it humanely on game animals is the biggest application that every generation has used their battle rifle.

It's not meant to be a cheap paper punching round, circumstances have not conspired to make that happen, any more than dozens of other almost - became - military - issue calibers. But in the restricted atmosphere of game laws, NFA regulations, and the complete loss of the sales of M16's to the public, this generation can at least accomplish much of what it is wanting to do: own their issue weapon, and shoot it in the open field.

Hunting with the AR isn't the exception, it's actually conforming to exactly what previous generations did with their combat rifles, and you can be guaranteed their were those who clucked their tongues and disapproved of it as "not being proper."

Like Jim Zumbo - who shot the military surplus guns of his day, too.

Feedback Score
    That is one nice post, Tirod. For those who are shooting .243, 7.62x39, .30-30, or even heavy .223s, I agree the 6.8spc is a fantastic alternative. Other than the combat alternative to 5.56, for which it is undoubtedly superior, it makes a great starter or short range hunting piece. Without sidetracking too far, it is fair to welcome other similar calibers, including the .300BLK in this regard.

However, it is equally fair not to allow newcomers to persist in the allusion that these AR-15 platform-bound calibers are a substitute for the .308 level, when that is desired/required. Thinking particularly of longer reach, bigger game, or defeating barriers. Likewise, you don't choose the .308 if the .300WM or larger is indicated by the purpose, and so on. Right tool for the right job. Anything else is Kool-aid.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    One of it's less-than-desirable points in my book is the parent case is the .30 Remington. Now they have the .277 wolverine which, like the .300BLK, has the .223 remington as the parent case

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BDPatriot13 View Post
    One of it's less-than-desirable points in my book is the parent case is the .30 Remington. Now they have the .277 wolverine which, like the .300BLK, has the .223 remington as the parent case
    The 277 WLV is 150-200fps slower than a 6.8 depending on the bullet weight. It doesn't push 110-130gr bullets very fast. You can buy 6.8 ammo off the shelf, why do the extra work with a wildcat to get worse performance.
    There has been more 6.8 cases made than there ever was 30 Remington cases. Pretty sure Remington and jamison were the only 2 that ever made 30 remington. Federal, Hornady, S&B, Remington, SSA, Nosler and PPU all make 6.8 brass.
    I'll start by listing real hunting bullets up to 130gr since that should be the limit for cartridges with a capacity of this size.- http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...-BC-amp-Length
    80grHV GS Customs
    85gr Barnes MPG
    85gr Barnes TSX
    85gr Nosler E Tip
    90gr Speer TNT
    90gr Sierra varminter
    90gr Gold Dot
    95gr Barnes TTSX
    99gr HV GS Customs
    100gr Nosler Accubond
    100 Speer Hp
    100 Hornady SP
    100gr Hornady GMX
    100gr Rem SP
    110gr Nosler Accubond
    110gr Hornady Vmax
    110gr Barnes TSX
    110gr Barnes TTSX
    110gr Sierra Prohunter
    115gr Fed Fusion
    115gr Rem Corelokt
    120gr Hornady SST
    130gr Speer Hotcor
    130 Rem corelokt
    130gr Sierra SPBT
    130 Federal Fusion

AMMO-
    Hornady
    120gr SST
    110 Vmax
    100gr GMX
    110 HPBT
    110 HPBT-American Gunner
    Federal
    115 Fusion
    115 Fusion American Eagle
    90gr Fusion
    90gr XM68
    PPU
    115gr HPBT
    115gr fmj
    Remington
    115gr UMC
    115gr
    115gr OTM
    SSA/Nosler
    85TSX
    85gr RRLP
    85gr Etip
    90gr Bonded
    95TTSX
    100 Accubond
    110 Softpoint
    110TSX
    110 Prohunter
    110 accubond
    115gr OTM
    S&B
    110gr tipped(Vmax)
    115gr fmj
    90gr Bonded
    Corbon
    115gr BTHP-SMK
    Last edited by constructor; 06-28-16 at 07:57.

Feedback Score
    I'm not a big hunter but a few years ago my son's and I went pig hunting in central Fla. All 3 of us used 6.8 ARs. We killed 4 big wild pigs with 5 6.8 rounds. It would have been 4 for 4 but one was running and the first round hit him pretty far back so a follow-up was needed. I'm a believer.

Pigs.jpg
    Last edited by rocketman; 06-17-16 at 09:44. Reason: to add pic
    Semper Fi, Tres Deuce. Rest In Peace GM, MG, JK, CC. KIA May 2, 2008 - Freedom has a taste the protected will never know at a price they cannot understand.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    There has been more 6.8 cases made than there ever was 30 Remington cases. Pretty sure Remington and jamison were the only 2 that ever made 30 remington. Federal, Hornady, S&B, Remington, SSA, Nosler and PPU all make 6.8 brass.
    I understand they just take .30 Remington brass and cut/resize it then sell it as SPCII? I'm not into reloading yet so this is new ha

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BDPatriot13 View Post
    I understand they just take .30 Remington brass and cut/resize it then sell it as SPCII? I'm not into reloading yet so this is new ha
    No.
    6.8 brass is actually thicker in the web area and has less capacity than genuine .30 Remington.

Feedback Score
    What a 6.8 does a .308 does better. B

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post

Oh, and BTW, DocGKR's office is that a way.
    Last edited by DaveS; 06-18-16 at 10:22.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    What a .308 does a .300 WinMag does better. Etc, ad nausea.

Ego driven argument aside, it's up to the individual to realistically list their goals/criteria honestly and compare chamberings and/or calibers to those to find the best match.

For example, want to stay withing the AR 15 platform/family/pattern of rifles? .308 is out instantly.

Does that mean .308 sucks and 6.8SPC is the best? No, it simply means that 6.8SPC better fits that goal/criteria better than the .308.

ETA: And, like a n00b, I just realized thread is from 2011...
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 06-18-16 at 11:07.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast