Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Advice on a 12Ga Pump

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Need Advice on a 12Ga Pump

This is my first post on M4C. I have been an admirer of this site for a while now and feel it has the most substantive information for modern firearms on the net.

I am looking for advice on a pump 12 ga for my first defensive shotgun course. The consensus here seems to be the 870, 500 & 590 (Browning BPS, Winchester Defender possibly?) are the obvious selections however I would like some input on which variation & specific features I should be looking at. The course I am taking will be in the summer time & the course requires 350 rounds of birdshot, 75 rounds of 00 buckshot, and 50 rounds of slugs.

My scattergun experience is limited to duck/pheasant/grouse/dove/quail hunting and Trap Shooting. I would bring my 28" Winchester Ranger but I believe a dude would get his ass kicked bringin a gun like that to a shotgun course in Alaska.

The basic criteria for my shotgun needs to be at a minimum:
    • 18-20" Cylinderbore Barrel
    • Pump
    • Stainless or Parkerized
    • Sling Attachments
    • Synthetic Stock
    • 3" Chambering
    • Price Range $300-$600

Any other suggestions?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Get the Mossberg 590A1 SPX. 20" barrel, 9-shot, and comes with LPA ghost ring sights and a Ontario M9 bayonet. It's a little front heavy but after a while you won't notice it. When you get to that link, click through the models until you come to the SPX.

If you go this route, make sure you get a cheekpad of some sort for the stock. Mossberg uses the same stocks for this gun as they do for the bead sight guns, but these sights are about an inch taller. Get the Eagle Industries Cheek Pad and you'll be G2G.
    Last edited by Travis B; 02-23-11 at 13:35.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Lightbulb

IMO, you really only have two choices when it comes to defensive pump action 12gauge shotguns. Remington 870 and the Mossberg 590. There are other viable options out there, Ithca comes to mind. But. . .with the 870 and 590 you will be hard pressed to find any other model with the choices of parts and accessories.

My personal shotgun,

Mossberg 590
    BFG VCAS
    BFG M16 stock adaptor
    GG&G Front Sling Attachement
    Wolff Extra Power Magazine Spring
    Hogue "Youth" Stock

This year I plan on acquiring a SF forend (623LM) for it as well as some other after market doohikies.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How useful would the heat shield be for a defensive course?
    Worth the extra weight?

I would like to keep it as simple as possible so I'm thinking a bead sight will be the way to go.

I like the idea of a youth stock. I can use it as justification to my wife that the gun is for the boy.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Having gone through multiple Mossbergs, I'm a big believer in the Gold Standard of defensive/duty shotguns....

Remington 870 Police.

Wingmasters are good as well and can easily be built into something worthwhile.

Might want to do a search in the forum, this has been discussed repeatedly and lots of good info archived.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Having gone through multiple Mossbergs, I'm a big believer in the Gold Standard of defensive/duty shotguns....

Remington 870 Police.

Wingmasters are good as well and can easily be built into something worthwhile.

Might want to do a search in the forum, this has been discussed repeatedly and lots of good info archived.
    In your opinion is the police model 870 worth the extra $200 over the mossberg 590 A1?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post

Remington 870 Police.
    Yes, I should have emphasized if you go the Remington route pony up for the Police Magnum or 870P.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by antlad View Post
    How useful would the heat shield be for a defensive course?
    Worth the extra weight?

I would like to keep it as simple as possible so I'm thinking a bead sight will be the way to go.

I like the idea of a youth stock. I can use it as justification to my wife that the gun is for the boy.
    I removed my heat shield. If you like a bead sight I'd take a look at a front bead replacement with a Tritium insert. I like Meprolight, they have a front bead for my 590.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 02-23-11 at 21:23.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't generally recommend the SPX models. They are an artifact of a set of military requirements I was working with Mossberg on back in early 2005-06. As stated above the sight line a little high with the standard stock for some people.

If you are looking at a Mossberg take a hard look at one of the 18" 590A1 SKUs. The bead sight model is a great one and the Bantum wood stock with Ghost Ring Sights (GRS) is a real sleeper in their line up.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by antlad View Post
    If you're used to shooting irons on a rifle then you will love ghost ring sights.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast