Thread: My "ideal DMR" set up

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

My "ideal DMR" set up

I've been playing with different configurations of this rifle for years but always putting an emphasis on intermediate range shooting as opposed to using it up close. Last year I shot in a local NRA National Defense Match and the limitations of the previous configuration became very apparent about six seconds into my first stage. The performed awesome when I was engaging targets from 100 to 600 yards but the challenge was created when I was trying to engage very close targets on the move with my scope set on 2.5X. I made due though and actually finished out the match surprisingly well but I knew changes had to be made.

One of the most glaring deficiencies was that I had a hard time engaging close targets using the NF 2.5-10 on its lowest setting, it was doable but I wasted seconds acquiring my target. I wanted an alternate sighting system that I could used to quickly engage the close stuff and then transition back to more magnification for longer shots. Another issue that I had was that the LaRue 11.0 handguard was just a tad too short when I had the bipod installed and it crowded my hand. After looking at a couple of friends' guns I determined that a rail at least 12" in length would give me enough room for my to get fully extended with my bipod mounted.

This is the configuration of the rifle that I ran at the NDM match:

This is its current configuration with changes made as a result of my observations:

Love this KMR rail!

Upper:
    CMT Flat Top w/ M4 cuts
    CMT FA MPI BCG
    WOA 16" ML SS barrel, 1:7 twist
    Griffin Armament M4SD Comp
    BCM Charging Handle
    BCM KMR-13

Lower:
    RRA Lower
    Geissele SSA-E
    Magpul BAD Lever
    Magpul MOE Trigger Guard
    Magpul MOE-K2 Grip
    Vltor E-MOD

Optics/Sights:
    Nightforce 2.5-10X24 Mil/Mil in LT-104 Mount
    Burris FastFire in LT-137 Mount
    Mixed Troy/MI BUIS

First and foremost let me just say that I freaking love this KMR rail, it's everything I was looking for when I was searching for replacements. In addition to the KMR and Burris FastFire I also ended up replacing the Magpul grip, adding a Magpul BAD lever, and Griffin Armament Comp. I ended up replacing the grip because I noticed that after a while shooting in the prone the rake of the MOE grip actually hurt my wrist and my performance began to suffer. The MOE-K2 has a more vertical grip that I found more comfortable to shoot with in general, whether that be standing, kneeling, prone, etc.. The GA M4SD is an amazingly effective compensator and I'm glad I have it on the gun, now the gun doesn't recoil, period and combined with the SSA-E pairs are quick and accurate.

I took the whole shebang to the range a couple of weeks ago to get zeroed and shoot out to 600 yards and this set up is a hammer. I was punching out the center of my shoot n c at 100 so I drove over to the 600 yard range. At 600 I was hammering the steel without issue and I think my best group was right around 1.25 MOA with Mk 262 Mod 1. There's a big 2-day DMR match this weekend at Peacemaker National Training Center in WV so I'm going to see if my changes were worth while but so far so good I think.

I will say one thing though, I'm not sure if I'm sold on having the Burris FF mounted where it is. Truth me told I'm seriously weighing replacing it and the BUIS that I have on there with a set of off set irons like the Griffin Armament Fail Safe sights or DD RTS sites. This way I can reduce weight while still maintaining an effective way to engage close up targets.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Range Trigger Monkey View Post
    I will say one thing though, I'm not sure if I'm sold on having the Burris FF mounted where it is. Truth me told I'm seriously weighing replacing it and the BUIS that I have on there with a set of off set irons like the Griffin Armament Fail Safe sights or DD RTS sites. This way I can reduce weight while still maintaining an effective way to engage close up targets.
    While differing some in detail, my DMR is ridiculously similar to yours and after the first time trying 45' Offset Iron sights as a replacement for both the offset reflex sight AND the folding irons, I knew there was no going back. The KAC units are harder to find, but they're still the lightest and most usable for me, and can help with storage by folding out of the way. Sure they cost a bit more, but they're also a fair bit lighter, and that's more cost effective than changing over to a lighter 3V light [VTAC L4-3V] for almost as much weight savings. Those are the only other spots where you can make weight savings without sacrificing some functionality, other than that it's a really stout looking build.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I thought I would provide a little bit of an update on my rifle. I had the chance this past weekend to validate many of the changes and modifications that I had made at the Peacemaker National Training Center 2-day DMR match. This was a fun, challenging match shot from improvised shooting positions, barricades, but rarely from the prone out to 600 yards. This rifle put up with a good bit over the course of the weekend and didn't skip a beat, hammering the steel targets stage after stage. While I bombed the moving target stage I killed it on the other nine good enough to come out on top for the win.

I've decided to go ahead and replace the iron sights and Burris FF with Griffin Armament Fail Safe Sights so that I can reduce the amount of stuff I have bolted to the rifle and run in the Tactical Optics division for 2-gun matches. The Surefire RTS sights were on my radar because they were familiar but the GA sights won me over because they were more simple...and cheaper.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Range Trigger Monkey View Post
    I've decided to go ahead and replace the iron sights and Burris FF with Griffin Armament Fail Safe Sights so that I can reduce the amount of stuff I have bolted to the rifle and run in the Tactical Optics division for 2-gun matches. The Surefire RTS sights were on my radar because they were familiar but the GA sights won me over because they were more simple...and cheaper.
    Short of shelling out big cash for the KAC units, those two are the ones I'd look at, and the GA are less of a snag-fest looking arrangement. I'd agree that the TacOptics Division in 2-Gun is probably the most real-world relevant competition for competitive-yet-effective stuff, so that setup looks spot on. I'm still amused that though my setup differs from yours part by part, it really is a story of reaching the same function by slightly different means.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Drool... thats a dream setup right there. Congrats.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks, it's actually already evolved from the above pics but not by much, I just replaced the irons and red dot with offset irons and I'm going to change out the light/VTAC combo with a Surefire G2X and a keymod light mount. This thing is already crazy light, accurate, and most importantly eats whatever I feed it from PMC 55gr ball to Mk 262 Mod 1.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    KMR is a great addition to any DMR/SPR type rifle. Light weight and rigid! Looking good.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Really nice stick. When I wanted a DMR I just had HCS build mine. I had it built on a LMT lower and upper and it shot like a dream. My next 556 dmr rifle is in the works.

Feedback Score
    Love this build! It is kind of the inspiration for my current build. Wish I could swing the BCM KMR looks like an amazing rail! I think instead I'll end up with a Midwest Industries SS Gen 2. Glad to hear you're getting good accuracy, I have the same barrel on my gun.

Ben