Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rattle Can Paint Job? Check this out

Feedback Score
    very nice.

Feedback Score
    jwfuhrman,
    Thanks for the Great info on the different paints I have been considering painting my AR project and your heads up on the paint has given me a starting point to get an interesting camo paint scheme to finish off the project. I have taken my old post ban Bushmaster and updated the furniture and changed out all of the springs and pins and also added rail systems and even swapped out the AK74 5.5 inch compensator on my 11.5 inch Heavy Barrel to a CAR-15 5.5 inch Flash Hider and what a difference in weight did it make. I stopped by my local Home Depot and Wally world today to get some Rustolium and Krylon to get do the paint jobs this weekend. All 3 of my uppers are going to get sprayed
    5.56NATO 11.5" w/5.5 CAR flash hider
    7.62x39 Colt 16" HBAR
    .223 24" Stainless Bull Barrel
    right now I am trying to figure out the best way to get the stainless painted. I figured that scuffing the barrel with some 800 grit wet/dry sand paper will give enough to get the paint to attach but I am still wondering if I should get some etching/primer paint to make the job easier.

ANY and ALL COMMENTS in how to get the SS barrel done are WELCOME!
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.
    |SA Custom Shop 1911-A1 Loaded,(MEU SOC) Mil-Spec|Sig 1911 TacOps&1911 22LR|XDM9 5.25|Glock 22&19|HK USP 45 Comp & USC 45ACP|Ruger KP97, 3 10/22, Mini-30lTaurus PT92AFD & PT-140lColt King Cobra 4inchlBushmaster Magpul CAR-15, Spikes Tactical Lower/Colt 16” HBAR 7.62x39 Tactical, Spikes Tactical/Custom 24” Bull Barrel Sniperl Mossberg Custom 590A1, 500 Blackwater Breacher, 500 Persuader, 24” Slug Gunl
    US Navy Disabled Veteran, NRA Member, Conceal Weapon Permit Holder

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    On my 18" BCM Mk12 build which uses their SS410 barrel, I used high heat rustoleum paint it is for refinishing Grills. Its flat black and takes a day or 2 to completely dry but it turned out pretty damn good.

when painting barrels, u need to use a high heat resistant paint like the grill paint I used of a engine paint. Something that won't flake and crack off when it gets super hot.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score

Re: Stainless Steel

Make sure you expose any fresh surface to air for awhile, about the time it would take rust to form, has to passivate so chromium on surface oxidizes, otherwise there's a chance it will corrode.

Edit to add: Paint really isnt best option for stainless but it sounds like you want the ''rattle can'' job. Normally I'd say get it powder coated (don't think 400 degrees would effect the heat treat, but not sure) or just bead blasted.
    Last edited by ZRH; 03-09-11 at 06:28.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info!
    I was thinking about getting the SS barrel CeraKoted but I figured that a Spray job would be easier and if I dont like it or change my mind I can always take off the paint and go to another color scheme. I plan play with it for a while before I make my mind up on the scheme I want then go with a permanent coating.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.
    |SA Custom Shop 1911-A1 Loaded,(MEU SOC) Mil-Spec|Sig 1911 TacOps&1911 22LR|XDM9 5.25|Glock 22&19|HK USP 45 Comp & USC 45ACP|Ruger KP97, 3 10/22, Mini-30lTaurus PT92AFD & PT-140lColt King Cobra 4inchlBushmaster Magpul CAR-15, Spikes Tactical Lower/Colt 16” HBAR 7.62x39 Tactical, Spikes Tactical/Custom 24” Bull Barrel Sniperl Mossberg Custom 590A1, 500 Blackwater Breacher, 500 Persuader, 24” Slug Gunl
    US Navy Disabled Veteran, NRA Member, Conceal Weapon Permit Holder

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    What about bare aluminum? How would you paint a bare aluminum surface?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by onado2000 View Post
    What about bare aluminum? How would you paint a bare aluminum surface?
    Zinc chromate primer followed by some sort of polyurethane paint, in a perfect world. Would rather have it anodized if it was going to be handled a lot though.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I just bought & tried Birchwood Casey Aluminum Blue, although it works well on small nicks & spots, its not the best solution for large bare surfaces. I did look at B.wood-Casy website and saw something new that be the answer. Anyone try it yet?

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/metal/lumiclad.html

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    hi, i have a couple questions regarding painting a magazine. I have two of those USGI mag with the dry film finish that looks all beat up and stuff. What would be a proper procedure to paint them? Do i need to get some sand paper and sand them down first? or just straight up spray paint them. Also should i leave them under the sun for some hours? Any suggestion would help, thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, since we're talking about paint jobs, here's a rattle can job that I'm very happy with.

Bad lighting of complete rifle:

Another stock:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast