Page 42 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: AR pistol picture thread

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    I may just sbr my pistol and keep the brace on it to circumvent the ccw implications of an sbr and for the specific reason of not becoming a felon if I decide to shoulder it.
    Is that even legal?

Putting a non SBR upper on an SBR'd lower is ok in that it is now a regular AR, but I never heard of a ruling or situation where you can take an SBR lower and turn it into a pistol, and also maintain it's SBR benefits. IF you can make a SBR a pistol, I doubt you get to use both benefits (SBR upper, VFG.....bypassing the ATF's out of state notification).

I love the idea, but would like others to chime in.

I'm personally still going to use my SBRs at the range, HD, classes etc. but will still be building a pistol (using the Thordsen cheek rest) for CCW & out of state purpose.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Once you "SBR" your "PISTOL" I would think it is an SBR for good and therefore regardless of what "stock" or brace you are running you will need to abide by the SBR rules and regs.

Use at a public range and competitions is where I'd be most concerned while shouldering the brace and as I'd like to actually shoot this thing and not have to worry about the potential issues associated, I'm gonna go the route of SBR.

To each their own though and it's a shame because I do really like the brace and freedom that was associated with it.

For a HD gun or "Truck Gun" I can still see the benefits but I also think something like a Glock 17 and a few mags would be a better option.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GO_ALLOUT View Post
    Once you "SBR" your "PISTOL" I would think it is an SBR for good and therefore regardless of what "stock" or brace you are running you will need to abide by the SBR rules and regs.

Use at a public range and competitions is where I'd be most concerned while shouldering the brace and as I'd like to actually shoot this thing and not have to worry about the potential issues associated, I'm gonna go the route of SBR.

To each their own though and it's a shame because I do really like the brace and freedom that was associated with it.

For a HD gun or "Truck Gun" I can still see the benefits but I also think something like a Glock 17 and a few mags would be a better option.
    I totally agree, and that's why I have a couple SBR lowers. An AR pistol for me (as a truck gun) is purely in addition to my handgun(s) and would only be for the worst situations (broken down vehicle in the backwoods, urban unrest, out of state travel).

In those situations, IF the AR pistol would "slip" and make contact with my shoulder the only way people would see it is if things have already gone sideways in which case a shooting would have occured.

That's the real beauty in the Thordsen setup, it's already resting on your cheek, only a couple inches from your shoulder.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Great points! Agreed on the truck gun thing and scenarios that it would be useful. My biggest concern there is leaving it in my truck when I go into stores or other places...

Feedback Score
    I'm no lawyer, but I'm 99.999999999% sure once you make a pistol a rifle, you can't go back and make it a pistol again. It's a rifle for life.

Just go buy a complete pistol lower to swap the SBR upper to... then you're set.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Talon167 View Post
    I'm no lawyer, but I'm 99.999999999% sure once you make a pistol a rifle, you can't go back and make it a pistol again. It's a rifle for life.

Just go buy a complete pistol lower to swap the SBR upper to... then you're set.
    I am 100% certain that a lower built first as pistol can be reconfigured as a rifle and back any time you want to. This was decided by SCOTUS in the Thompson Contender suit. The question here is can a pistol that has been SBRd be reconfigured as a pistol. I have never seen a definitive answer. If it can be restored to a Title I gun by installing a 16" upper (which it can), then logic would say that it can be a pistol again, just like a regular lower that was built first as a pistol. Unfortunately, logic doesn't enter into ATF decisions.
    Last edited by DWood; 01-20-15 at 15:10.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think the answer is no and I don't want to be the one to find out...lol

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Still a pistol.

Last edited by pyzik; 01-23-15 at 10:33.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Alliance Shoothouse, YSINTG, Carbine 1, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Please tell me we did not start hash-tagging on M4Carbine...
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Great picture pyzik! ##
    Experience is what you get... When you don't get what you want.

Page 42 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast