Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Assault Rifle in 308/6.8

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nikuraba29 View Post
    Since your looking at a new system, 300 AAC may be an alternative. 30 cal bullet on a 5.56 chassis....
    I'm looking forward to seeing the progress of this round.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mute View Post
    Your primary advantage of .308 over 6.8 will be cost of ammo and it's abundance.
    Disagree. The primary advantage is better performance against barriers, per the OP. The other factors are important secondary advantages.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just curious if anybody knows how a 308 loaded with pulled 30-06 AP projectiles fair against barriers?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carbinero View Post
    Disagree. The primary advantage is better performance against barriers, per the OP. The other factors are important secondary advantages.
    Well that was my question, but i don't think there is substantial improvement in 308 vs 6.8, at least from what I've heard in this thread. That was one of my main "concerns" I originally was thinking 308 for improved performance in the "turning cover into concealment" vein, but it looks like the 6.8 is "close enough for practical purposes"

I'm still toying with the 6.8 vs 308 because I'm not a reloader yet. And just being me, I like to have the right "loads" Despite being in the gun capital of the world, I still do not see good 6.8 SPC available yet. But the balance is tipping because 308 is not offering the advantages i thought it did.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBob View Post
    Well that was my question, but i don't think there is substantial improvement in 308 vs 6.8, at least from what I've heard in this thread. That was one of my main "concerns" I originally was thinking 308 for improved performance in the "turning cover into concealment" vein, but it looks like the 6.8 is "close enough for practical purposes"

I'm still toying with the 6.8 vs 308 because I'm not a reloader yet. And just being me, I like to have the right "loads" Despite being in the gun capital of the world, I still do not see good 6.8 SPC available yet. But the balance is tipping because 308 is not offering the advantages i thought it did.
    One thing to think about. When people talk about the .308/7.62x51 being cheap to shoot, they are usually referring to military style 147-150gr FMJ ammo. Once you start looking at Match ammo, TAP style LE/HD rounds, or serious hunting ammo, the .308 advantage decreases if not totally reverses. I have both a 6.8SPC AR and a .308 Remmy 700, so I have had a chance to compare. For instance, I like the Barnes TSX and TTSX rounds for hunting hogs. SSA (Silver State Armory) 6.8 TSX rounds run $24-28 per box, depending on the particular bullet weight and whether you want the hot Tactical rounds. For the 308 (and my kid's .270Win, for that matter,) Federal Vital Shok TSX rounds run $38-42 per box. Hornaday TAP rounds for both run about the same. Also, most of my ammo purchases nowadays are made on the internet. Lots of ammo at good prices, delivered right to my door. Beats scouring the local shops and super-stores for the ammo I want.

Feedback Score
    Assuming all things were equal in terms of the platform itself...I would think that if cost were the determining factor, I mean a real deal breaker as to whether or not you would or wouldn't own a particular caliber, then why not reload? If you make a conscious decision to buy factory ammunition retail then maybe cost isn't such a big deal and shouldn't be part of the decision making process.

Just a thought.

Feedback Score
    It's a very valid thought. Even for 5.56 The cost of performance loads is rising rather quickly. There's always a worry in the back of my mind that 6.8 SPC will go away. It's not so much cost as it is availability. I tends to worry a lot more than I probably should. But as you point out reloading takes care of much of that worry or would if I got started.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I really love my Greek G3 it shoots great groups,always goes bang and is built solid. Sure it get dirty fast but it always works. I really love this rifle but it is a heavy battle rifle. Also $2.00.mags cant be beat. This is why I chose 7.62NATO.

Feedback Score
    Regarding cost, you can get an 6.8 upper for $600. That saves you, what, about $1,900 vs buying an entire .308 AR variant. With some of that savings, you should be able to stash away a lifetime supply of emergency and hunting 6.8 ammo. (of course, the 6.8 will never be a "plinker", but that is what the 5.56 upper is for right?)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBob View Post
    If defeating barriers was my main concern, I would absolutely prefer 308 over 6.8. If commonality with the ar-15 platform and recoil are similarly important, then of course an ar-15 variant should be considered. Since price is an issue, and short ranges are more the concern, I can see why you are looking at the ar-15 platform and the 6.8 specifically, but then perhaps you should also consider the 300blk which would likely be more cost efficient with common mags and bolts with 5.56.

However a non-AR 308 variant like you said is perhaps more logical, so perhaps a DSA FAL. Can you better described your intended purpose and priorities?
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast