Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Assault Rifle in 308/6.8

Feedback Score
    My purposes is a "bigger stick" for CQB. For some reason i still feel a bit outgunned in 5.56.

For a long time I was set on building an EBR outta an M1A, but I finally talked myself off the edge on that one. But I definitly am looking at building a more powerful CQB type rifle with improved penetration and terminal performance. I've heard many of the reports from the field in Afghanistan and Iraq that 5.56 is coming up short in some cases. I also was a long time follower of the AR-15 mailing list where we spoke frequently about barrel length, muzzle velocity, fragmentation, and trends in shorter and shorter barrels. Hell I didn't get a 16 inch barrel until just this year, I had a hard time letting go of that extra velocity.

I think I mentioned in another thread I only in the last 6 months really "discovered" the existance of calibers between 308 and 5.56 so they still are growing on me. Its tough to take that plunge off the well trod path.

(I still have trouble accepting 9mm is ok, I keep catching my self searching for 1911 double stacks...)
    Last edited by TXBob; 03-01-11 at 18:23.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Regarding cost, you can get an 6.8 upper for $600. That saves you, what, about $1,900 vs buying an entire .308 AR variant. With some of that savings, you should be able to stash away a lifetime supply of emergency and hunting 6.8 ammo. (of course, the 6.8 will never be a "plinker", but that is what the 5.56 upper is for right?)
    Ditto for 300 AAC, but once again even better compatibility. Same MAGs and capacity, bolt, etc., etc... Everything but the barrel as I mentioned earlier. Can use .223/5.56 to plink and keep the 300 AACV upper for a bad day.

S?F

Feedback Score
    Agreed. It is a great match. However, right now at least, I see the spec II 6.8 ammo has having the advantage for longer distance/barrier/hunting work. .300 has the edge for CQB and subsonic. That may change if ammunition innovators get to work on the .300 blk, but full power 6.8 seems like it will always be flatter and faster.

Quote Originally Posted by nikuraba29 View Post
    Ditto for 300 AAC, but once again even better compatibility. Same MAGs and capacity, bolt, etc., etc... Everything but the barrel as I mentioned earlier. Can use .223/5.56 to plink and keep the 300 AACV upper for a bad day.

S?F

Feedback Score
    Lets get this straight!
    Full Auto=Assault Rifle
    Semi Auto=NOT an Assault Rifle
    Alot of people trying to use the word Assault when it's not on here!

Feedback Score
    If your talking full auto thats fine but if your not stop calling it an ASSAULT Rifle because it's not! Please.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Assault? By wiki definations maybe.

That is your only contribution to this thread is the correct grammar, its semantics dude. I use a semi-auto rifle to bust in your door and take down your house. I just assaulted, I just assualted through the objective, then I am consolidating in your living room, next I am going to resupply on the objective in your fridge, etc. etc.

Whether or not the word assault is used, who cares? stick to the topic.

S/F

Last edited by nikuraba29; 03-05-11 at 05:19.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That is your only contribution to this thread is the correct grammar, its semantics dude. I use a semi-auto rifle to bust in your door and take down your house. I just assaulted, I just assualted through the objective, then I am consolidating in your living room, next I am going to resupply on the objective in your fridge, etc. etc.

S/F

There are reasons why people get uptight about this.

For one, it is best to use proper definitions. That way people know what you are talking about and there is no confusion.

Two, it is not to the gun community's advantage to use words that have been twisted by the anti gunners. Assault weapon is one of those words.

So, unless it is a real assault rifle, please, let's call it something else.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    There are reasons why people get uptight about this.

For one, it is best to use proper definitions. That way people know what you are talking about and there is no confusion.

Two, it is not to the gun community's advantage to use words that have been twisted by the anti gunners. Assault weapon is one of those words.

So, unless it is a real assault rifle, please, let's call it something else.
    There's good ways and bad ways to express this point. Yours was more respectful and what I would expect.

The original thread jacker was just proving the sage wisdom of Mark Twain.

And if it could be a real assault rifle, I would do it. Legally. I'm sorry if that frightens our politicians, but I have no issue with legal machine guns.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBob View Post

And if it could be a real assault rifle, I would do it. Legally. I'm sorry if that frightens our politicians, but I have no issue with legal machine guns.
    +1 Neither do I.

It just does no good to our cause to let the anti gunner's scare people with thoughts of "machine guns" when talking about semi auto rifles.

Educating people about machine guns and the legality thereof is a different issue and also an important one.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score

Angry

S/F

So if I use my hands and feet to bust in your door and take down your house. I just assaulted, I just assaulted through the objective, then I am consolidating in your living room, next I am going to resupply on the objective in your fridge, etc.etc. IT DOES NOT MAKE MT ARMS AND LEGS AN ASSAULT WEAPON! You must be from up in the NE where everyone thinks that any weapon is an ASSAULT WEAPON! Oh yea, can you try to keep your peeps up in the NE instead of sending them down here to poison my state with their ASSAULT WEAPON BANS! THANK YOU!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast