Thread: Colt SP-1 Info Request

Feedback Score

Colt SP-1 Info Request

Hello folks, long time lurker, infrequent poster. I have a friend that received an older Colt AR for payment of a debt. He has had it in his safe for years and today I was at his house and he pulled it out and asked me if I was interested in buying it.

It appears by the serial number to be a 1980 model SP1. Looks to me like all original upper, lower, barrel, bolt and carrier, carry handle, two position stock, hand guards and two Colt marked mags. I didn't have a chance to get any pics, but he said feel free to come back and take as many as I wanted.

Although it had obviously been shot, it appeared in good shape with nice rifling and a shiny bore. He also had a few additional 30 round steel mags in his safe, but I didn't get a look at them.

Any idea what the rifle is worth or where I could get some idea what to offer the guy? He knows nothing about AR's and has never even shot it. Any help would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    SP1 carbines are running on gunbroker from anywhere between 1200 to 1500 dollars depending on which state the weapon is in...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuiper View Post
    SP1 carbines are running on gunbroker from anywhere between 1200 to 1500 dollars depending on which state the weapon is in...
    That is asking price, where they are actually SELLING is more like 900-1100

Feedback Score
    Huh, You can't build a CAR clone without closeing in on 1k. I thought they were going for more like $1,400.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Used SP1 with no box is $800 to $900 favorable to you and $1000 to $1100 even between you.

The aftermarket steel magazines are worth $0.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Used SP1 with no box is $800 to $900 favorable to you and $1000 to $1100 even between you.
    This. Most collectors are looking for the original boxes with the USGI sling and owners manual.