Thread: Armalite Questions

Feedback Score

Armalite Questions

I'm considering buying an Armalite AR-10,while I'd like to be able to buy a KAC or an LMT,I can't afford one.What's wrong with the Armalites and what's right with them?What configuration would be the best choice,20" or 16" M4 or 20" or 16" T Model?Are there any changes to the Armalite to make it a better rifle?Thanks for any help.
    RONK

Feedback Score
    as far as choices go, what will you be using it for? Varmint hunting or zombie killing?

Feedback Score
    how is the ar-10 as a Cqb rifle. Let's say hypothetically theAR-10 is the only model of 308 around. What needs to be done to it go make it battle worthy. Like an ar10 a4. If handed one for duty as a rifleman what would be your concern about it function. (leaving aside its weight and capacity). How does it function under battle conditions.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBob View Post
    how is the ar-10 as a Cqb rifle. Let's say hypothetically theAR-10 is the only model of 308 around. What needs to be done to it go make it battle worthy. Like an ar10 a4. If handed one for duty as a rifleman what would be your concern about it function. (leaving aside its weight and capacity). How does it function under battle conditions.
    Holy threadjack, Batman!

Feedback Score
    I'm not trying to intentionally troll, or thread jack. My apologies.

I think there is an un answered question about why the "acceptable rifles" are a grand more than un acceptable. Its one thing when its 200 for the 5.56, arena, but it much more difficult to understand the 1k difference between a Ar10 and a lmt. Or a sass ar-10 vs the obr. That's a LOT of ammo.

I saw that armalite was improving quality in another thread, not to be a to mfg, but moving on right direction. Its very attractive to us mere mortals to buy a lessar and fix it, then shell out double.

How those full auto guys do it, I wish I knew.

Anyway I was doing my best to try and guess the op's intent. I had similar questions, but was leaning toward 6.5,6.8, 300blk. That way i can tick off only some of the site instead of all of you at once.

Going back to my hidey hole before the mods grab me and punish me.
    Last edited by TXBob; 03-03-11 at 20:38. Reason: My phone is a poor typewriter

Feedback Score
    TXBob,I think your questions are very valid,thank you for asking them.
    RONK

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have been very pleased with the performance of my AR10s. One is a standard AR10A4 Carbine, the other is a Noveske N6. I like the forged receivers and the variety of barrels being offered. All in all, I’ve owned two of the Armalites and two of the Noveskes. All have been absolutely reliable (zero malfunctions), but that only means that I haven’t been trying hard enough. I can break anything!

Round counts are still pretty low on mine, so I can’t honestly attest to how they hold up long term. I’d really like to pour 500-600 rounds through the A4C in an afternoon and see how it handles it. Ultimately, I’d like to push it ‘till it stops functioning, but I’m not made of 7.62 ammo! The most I’ve put through it in one sitting is approx 200. It handled that just fine.

The biggest complaint I hear is the fact that the AR10 doesn’t take PMags, but then again neither dose my FAL, G3, or M1A. I don’t hold it against any of those rifles so I won’t hold it against the ’10 either. Some folks have had issues with the older retrofitted M14 magazines. Can’t speak to this as all of my magazines are Gen 2s.

Not a definitive answer to the OPs question, but my experience none the less.
    Last edited by JPB; 03-05-11 at 14:58.