Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Supplies question

Feedback Score

Med Kit

http://tactical.amronintl.com/outlet...fm?pageID=6482

Just something to look at. I got a couple different first aid kits I carry dependent on where I am.

Feedback Score
    Is there any particular reason to prefer Quik Clot over Celox, or vice versa? I see the price difference favors Quik Clot but I'm very curious as to if there's a difference in effectiveness or other characteristics which favor one over the other.
    Last edited by yellowfin; 03-11-11 at 10:23.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    Is there any particular reason to prefer Quik Clot over Celox, or vice versa? I see the price difference favors Quik Clot but I'm very curious as to if there's a difference in effectiveness or other characteristics which favor one over the other.
    Eh, everyone has their own preference. Celox is newer and doesn't have the thermal injury potential that older quick clot granules had. But from what I've seen QC has been reformulated to supposedly minimize thermal injury.

Both you can get in granule or gauze form. I have seen some studies suggesting celox may have better hemostatic properties but both seem to be popular options.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FL2011 View Post
    I have seen some studies suggesting celox may have better hemostatic properties but both seem to be popular options.
    That's not totally correct per the US military - Comparisons of Hemostatic Agents by US Army

First anything beats nothing. If all you've got is Celox-D, use it.

Second improper application of a hemostat is as bad as doing nothing. Powdered forms are very difficult to apply properly as the wound needs to be packed and then direct and forceful pressure needs to be applied for at least 3 minutes.

Third Combat Gauze is the preferred medium. It is much easier to apply properly/pack a wound and given equal amounts of blood loss prior to application, Combat Gauze results in the least amount of blood loss. Celox can work but rapidly looses its effectiveness, especially if improperly applied. It's also more expensive and harder to debride.

On a cost/benefit basis and ease of use, Combat Gauze is the best way to go if you're investing in hemostats. If you've already got Celox-D in your inventory it's perfectly capable for the task at hand. I've got some myself in applicator form which injects the material deep into the wound by use of a syringe mechanism.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 03-11-11 at 11:25.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    Definitely agree with combat gauze. And also not to go pouring hemostatic granules into every bleeding wound as first line, several options to try before you get to that point.

According to that link celox granules outperformed QC-ACS.

Feedback Score
    Something interesting I noticed on Chinook Medical: some forms of hemostatics, particularly the one labeled Combat Gauze were said to be military only and/or requiring medical training certification. Is there any particular official requirement for this or is this just that site's policy? Naturally I can see the idea being that if you're going to be handling that kind of problem you should want to be as trained as possible since it's dealing with serious medical situations, but at the same time there's something that kinda bugs me to have to wait until days or months and/or hundreds of dollars later for treatment for something that could happen at the range or in the woods tomorrow. What's the difference between the ones labeled Combat and for certain people only and the ones that seem to be made and marketed for everyone?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    Something interesting I noticed on Chinook Medical: some forms of hemostatics, particularly the one labeled Combat Gauze were said to be military only and/or requiring medical training certification. Is there any particular official requirement for this or is this just that site's policy? Naturally I can see the idea being that if you're going to be handling that kind of problem you should want to be as trained as possible since it's dealing with serious medical situations, but at the same time there's something that kinda bugs me to have to wait until days or months and/or hundreds of dollars later for treatment for something that could happen at the range or in the woods tomorrow. What's the difference between the ones labeled Combat and for certain people only and the ones that seem to be made and marketed for everyone?
    It's mostly because there is an x-ray visible strip inside the gauze and so it's regulated by the FDA. To be honest it's totally retarded government regulation.

You can get the "LE" version and avoid that requirement.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    You can purchase this companies supplies from Chinook, but just my .02. I am a medic currently deployed and also in charge of ordering Class 8. I have ordered QUITE a bit of H&H due to their incredible ability to vacuum seal their products and make them so compact! I would recommend anything from them!!

www.gohandh.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12