Thread: Reflex replacement

Feedback Score

Reflex replacement

I'm rebuilding my wife's AR. It will be a 16" lightweight carbine flattop. The old upper had a Trijicon Reflex with the triangle. She liked the sight a lot, but of course there were the washout issues.

What do you guys suggest for a replacement optic? Right now I'm debating on a Compact Acog (low magnification with red triangle) and the Accupoint (1-4x with red triangle); however, I am open to other suggestions.

I read something briefly on an issue with the Accupoint being difficult to use in the dark. Can anyone give any more info?

Thanks...
    Stephen
    Molon Labe

"The Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing." Herger the Joyous

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Right now I'm debating on a Compact Acog (low magnification with red triangle)
    The Compact ACOG TA47R-2 is what you are speaking of and it's the HEAT. That's what I have after extensive research. LOVE IT...

Mace

Feedback Score
    I am a big fan of the compact ACOG on a multipurpose carbine. I have used and abused mine for several years, and I remain as satisfied today as they day I brought it home. Additionally, if your wife already likes the reticle, I think its a no brainer. I was trying to put a carbine together for my wife and she hated the compact ACOG--user error, but why argue? She likes the Aimpoint. Sometimes you just don't argue...

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    My experiences with the TA21R (Accupoint) are liste below. I just copied and pasted the questions from another shooter and my responses (from another board). I thought the info may be useful:

Originally Posted By LAWDAWG8654:
    USMC,

I have come to a similar solution for my duty rifle. Because of the need to identify threats at longer range and have a good CQB range capability. I went with the TR-21R (Trijicon Accupoint). Mostly because I can't afford an S&B, however I am totally satisfied with my decision so far. I notice very little to no distortion at 1.25x on the TR-21R, its lightweight, no batteries and was very reasonable at $535; other than the Mil capability (which for me is not an issue within 300 meters) what am I missing? Let me know the factors that contributed to your choice, maybe there is something I missed. I will say that you have some excellent tools there.

My response:

I used the TA21R and *for me* there was too much distortion at 1.25x (reminded me of looking through a bubble), on 1.25x the triangle was sometimes hard for me to pick up, the eye relief was too long even with a LaRue EER mount, due to the post under the triangle at longer distances (ie. 400+) the 3 lines that are below the post completely cover the target making hold over extreemly hard, and I found that on 1.25x I was extreemly slow with this optic in CQB situations. It also lacked clarity, but it was a $500 optic not a $1,000+ optic

I know many guys that love the TA21R, and there are a boat load of guys who use them for competition, military, and law enforcement. But the TA21R just didn't do it for me.

As was stated above 75% or so of my work is CQB, if I'm not close with an optic at close distances it's useless to me. Several factors listed above slowed *me* down while using the TA21R at CQB distances.

That's not to say that it's not a good scope, it just didn't work for me. I think if Trijicon made a few adjustments to the TA21R (like offering different reticles, adding a bullet drop comp under the lit reticle like the TA11 or TA31 has, doing away with the cheesy adjustment knobs, make it a true 1x or 1.1x, etc) and kept in close to the same price range (around $700 or so) they would have an awesome optic.

If the gun will be used for CQB stuff or work inside of 300 yards, I would suggest an Aimpoint or a EO Tech.

I was out ringing steel gongs at 450 yards with a ML2 this past weekend:

(look for my foliage green mid-length)
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=642&page=5

Just my .02, your milage may vary.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys; and great review, as usual, Jeff.

I agree that an Aimpoint would be the way to go for her, but Momma wants what Momma wants. I'm lucky I have any input at all!
    Stephen
    Molon Labe

"The Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing." Herger the Joyous