Quote Originally Posted by theblackknight View Post
I think they should turn this style match into a federation like IDPA etc. It would bring the anti gaming crowd out and prob force a few IPSC wieners over to the dark side.
It looks real similar to what some of us have been doing in Florida for 10+ years. Florida Defensive Carbine Club shoots in Lake City and has been running for over 10 years, South Florida Defensive Carbine Club ("my" match until last month) has been running for over 6, and Central Florida Defensive Carbine Club has been running for over a year.

The problem with founding an actual organization, more than anything else, is that combining scoring systems or determining which is best is like trying to unite the city-states of ancient Greece!

FDCC and SFDCC operate on a neutralize/failure-to-neutralize scoring system while CFDCC operates on an IDPA scoring system with increased penalties.

However, the scoring system is key to keeping the gamers out. We penalize a shooter 30 seconds for an FTN and 30 seconds for a hit on a non-threat, and 100 seconds for a failure to do right. Most with an extensive background in gaming do NOT like this, and I have been told directly in the past "it was a fun match but I'm not coming back until the scoring system changes".

When I was running things we had two types of stages: scenarios and drills. My scenarios were rarely the stupid IDPA narratives of "you're at the gas station with your family and..." unless it was germane to the stage. For example, we had a shoot house stage and I wanted to impress upon the shooters the need to get through it quickly, so the scenario was that a badguy had your daughter in the back bedroom and you needed to get to her.

After doing this for six years I have a lot of opinions about what makes for good stage design, and categorizing them into those two groups goes a long way towards this.