Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What does a .308 do that a 5.56 cannot?

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

What does a .308 do that a 5.56 cannot?

Now that I have your attention...

Seriously, from a civilian defensive standpoint that is?

I know that the .308 bucks the wind better, I know it will generally penetrate better, it should have better terminal effects than the 5.56 over a greater effective range.

But does that really impact general civilian usage?

Please list out what you consider the advantages that the .308 brings to the table from the standpoint of civilian usage, not military.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

This is why. It's not the long range performance that's important, it's the devastation up close. If you think about it, if someone takes a minute or two to bleed out at 600 meters, that's okay...but you don't want that to happen at 6 feet.
    Last edited by QuietShootr; 02-28-11 at 18:14.

Feedback Score
    In all honesty, the real difference for most civilians?

Not having the RO have to look thru binocs to call hits on 200+ yard steel targets. 308 leaves no doubt.

That and $0.50+ a round more for match grade ammo.
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 02-28-11 at 19:06.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    It can reach out and touch someone BETTER!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Leave big holes at larger distances.

More muzzle energy is always more muzzle energy, and if the tradeoffs (more recoil impulse, heavier ammunition, less ammunition per space) are outweighed by the gains, and you can afford it, do that.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    Leave big holes at larger distances.

More muzzle energy is always more muzzle energy, and if the tradeoffs (more recoil impulse, heavier ammunition, less ammunition per space) are outweighed by the gains, and you can afford it, do that.
    Heh, well put.

Feedback Score

Because I'm not part of a Marine Platoon anymore.

1. The 5.56 was developed for military use, when you have all of your armed buddies with you. Some of those buddies may be small and/or are women. In general, smaller people don't like shooting a full-power rifle. I am not small.

2. In a military battle, getting shot with a .22 will take you out of the fight. Killing the enemy isn't nessesary. It may be when it's just you vs. some thugs.

3. More power is better. A .380 is better than a .22lr, a 5.56 is better than a .380, a .308 is better than a 5.56, a 338 lapua is better than a .308. The .50bmg is better than a 338 lapua. Sadly, the 338 lapua and .50bmg costs 5 bucks a round. Otherwise I would buy one.

4. Unlike the military, I will not be supported with grenade launchers, machine guns, planes, tanks and ships. I need a gun that can shoot through light vehicles and body armor with just a single round. All by myself.

5. Any bullet weight in 308 can cleanly kill any animal in North America. That might come in handy if you get hungry in a survival situation or if a grizzly bear gets hungry for you. A 55 grain 5.56 bullet may not be enough.

I could give you a few more reasons I like an AR-10, but thats my top 5.

Thank you for reading my first post!

muskie69

Feedback Score
    It reaches out farther with more punch.
    "You won't rise to the ocassion, you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

NRA LE Handgun/Shotgun Instructor
    Pa ACT235 Firearms Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Nothing I care about...

Don't think for a minute the 5.56 was designed to "wound" or any of that other BS military myth told over and over from Basic to retirement. That's in the "you cant shoot personnel with a .50" category.

Bob
    " Some people say..any tactic that works is a good tactic,...I say, anything can work once" former ABQ swat Sgt.

Feedback Score
    Im not sure civie needs are different than military. Thus most military is armed with 223 except for specialized roles. 308 offers greater power and improved penetration in a standard loading. Just like the military would v be well served by moving to an intermediate round, such as the 6
    8, so would civilians. But they go with what they know. ARs come in 223 and 308. They wanted improvement over 5.56. Don't we all.

I didn't know about the intermediates between 5.56 ans 7.62 until recently and I actually try and keep up.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast