Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What does a .308 do that a 5.56 cannot?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I do not know if this is what you are looking for, but from MY PERSONAL experience.

You shoot a hog with the 556 (fmj) in the body it will run for a while before it lays down. In fact you are better off to put two to three rounds in it if you can get them off in time. If you hit it in the head or neck it is pretty much a one shot deal though and it drops.

You shoot a hog in the body with the 308, it crawls maybe thirty to twenty yards and lays down. You hit it in the shoulder, neck, or head it drops in its tracks.

When I go hog hunting, i carry a 762x39 or 308 if I want them dead in the field. I carry my 556 if I just want alot of hits and never plan on recovering the hogs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    In all honesty, the real difference for most civilians?

Not having the RO have to look thru binocs to call hits on 200+ yard steel targets. 308 leaves no doubt.
    Oh so true.

308 on steel at 300 leaves no doubt. 5.56 on my plates (1.25" thick) doesn't even move them at that range.

Feedback Score
    A 308 can kill an elk before it gets over the edge of a canyon. I would not trust a 223 to do that. I BARELY trust a 308 to do that but it WILL do it

Feedback Score
    As others have said the recoil on a 556 is much less than a 308. Now while I have carried an M16 or M4 my entire military career, I also understand how it came to be the weapon I carry, so I am not as overly dedicated to the 5.56 caliber as some. You have to consider the reason the military went to a 5.56 M16 over the 7.62 M14 in the first place. In the end it was all about weight. A soldier can only carry so much high speed, light weight gear, typically 100 lbs is the upper limit, though on jumps into bad guy land many a soldier have been humping far greater...but I digress. The typical ammo battle load of 7.62 during Vietnam was 100 rounds, when they changed over to 5.56 that load doubled. Robert Mcnamara in his infinite wisdom thought twice as many bullets meant twice as many kills...remember he was a bean counter not a trigger puller...and as often happens when management doesn't understand the subject matter, they often really have no idea of the ramifications of their decisions, in this case it was changing to an inferior military caliber... for the reason of being able to carry additional ammo not for the killing cability of the round itself. Now with all that being said, I still own several personal Ar15s, I enjoy shooting them and would pick one up if I needed to in order to defend myself...though with all things being equal I prefer to pick up a battle rifle who's caliber starts with a 3...in my case I pick up an KTR-108 by Mark Krebs...
    Last edited by Sheepdog Tactical Gear; 08-09-11 at 20:47.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    It does it through walls and cars.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by muskie69 View Post
    1. The 5.56 was developed for military use, when you have all of your armed buddies with you. Some of those buddies may be small and/or are women. In general, smaller people don't like shooting a full-power rifle. I am not small.

2. In a military battle, getting shot with a .22 will take you out of the fight. Killing the enemy isn't nessesary. It may be when it's just you vs. some thugs.

3. More power is better. A .380 is better than a .22lr, a 5.56 is better than a .380, a .308 is better than a 5.56, a 338 lapua is better than a .308. The .50bmg is better than a 338 lapua. Sadly, the 338 lapua and .50bmg costs 5 bucks a round. Otherwise I would buy one.

4. Unlike the military, I will not be supported with grenade launchers, machine guns, planes, tanks and ships. I need a gun that can shoot through light vehicles and body armor with just a single round. All by myself.

5. Any bullet weight in 308 can cleanly kill any animal in North America. That might come in handy if you get hungry in a survival situation or if a grizzly bear gets hungry for you. A 55 grain 5.56 bullet may not be enough.

I could give you a few more reasons I like an AR-10, but thats my top 5.

Thank you for reading my first post!

muskie69

This post is full of fail and mall ninja. If you don't know what you're talking about then shut the hell up and go away. It's posts like this that are bringing this board down the road of barfcom. Go back to the airsoft boards where you belong and quit posting here if you're going to spout bubba fud second hand airsoft knowledge.

Now on topic... It's different tools for different applications. I think 5.56 is an excellent round when used within it's role, as an intermediate assault rifle cartridge. It's low recoiling, light to carry and flies flat. It doesn't penetrate like .308 or have the range but on soft targets or targets behind light cover within 400m it works pretty damn good.
    Last edited by Mr. Goodtimes; 08-10-11 at 01:11.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    The 7.62x51/308 has much more power, greater range and superior cover reducing capability. It also requires a much larger and heavier weapon. It is really comparing apples to oranges.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    This post is full of fail and mall ninja. If you don't know what you're talking about then shut the hell up and go away. It's posts like this that are bringing this board down the road of barfcom. Go back to the airsoft boards where you belong and quit posting here if you're going to spout bubba fud second hand airsoft knowledge.

Now on topic... It's different tools for different applications. I think 5.56 is an excellent round when used within it's role, as an intermediate assault rifle cartridge. It's low recoiling, light to carry and flies flat. It doesn't penetrate like .308 or have the range but on soft targets or targets behind light cover within 400m it works pretty damn good.
    Thank you for this intelligent answer. Very good.

To sum it up with MrGoodtimes rebuttle...."In Moderation"
    The AR platform is a tool, you wouldnt use a hammer when you need a wrench, why would you use a .308 when 5.56 will perfom its job just fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog Tactical Gear View Post
    As others have said the recoil on a 556 is much less than a 308. Now while I have carried an M16 or M4 my entire military career, I also understand how it came to be the weapon I carry, so I am not as overly dedicated to the 5.56 caliber as some. You have to consider the reason the military went to a 5.56 M16 over the 7.62 M14 in the first place. In the end it was all about weight. A soldier can only carry so much high speed, light weight gear, typically 100 lbs is the upper limit, though on jumps into bad guy land many a soldier have been humping far greater...but I digress. The typical ammo battle load of 7.62 during Vietnam was 100 rounds, when they changed over to 5.56 that load doubled. Robert Mcnamara in his infinite wisdom thought twice as many bullets meant twice as many kills...remember he was a bean counter not a trigger puller...and as often happens when management doesn't understand the subject matter, they often really have no idea of the ramifications of their decisions, in this case it was changing to an inferior military caliber... for the reason of being able to carry additional ammo not for the killing cability of the round itself. Now with all that being said, I still own several personal Ar15s, I enjoy shooting them and would pick one up if I needed to in order to defend myself...though with all things being equal I prefer to pick up a battle rifle who's caliber starts with a 3...in my case I pick up an KTR-108 by Mark Krebs...
    Your information is incorrect.

Bob
    " Some people say..any tactic that works is a good tactic,...I say, anything can work once" former ABQ swat Sgt.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog Tactical Gear View Post
    This is the philosophy of somebody uninformed.

5.56mm is my choice for 0-600m.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast