Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What does a .308 do that a 5.56 cannot?

Feedback Score
    Everyone always asks these questions I feel in a "home defense" scenario background. I would not want to set off a 5.56 and certainly not a .308 inside without a supressor.
    I think 90% of "homeowners" in a self defense scenario will be served best with a handgun and a good flashlight, preferrably on the pistol.
    The other 10% who feel because they live in a rural environment or really want to chase people down the road with an assault rifle blasting away may feel better armed with a M4, etc.
    I have a 9mm HK with 15 rounds of +P+ for the night stand and a 12 gauge pump in the closet loaded with 6 rounds of 00 buckshot and 4 slugs on the stock-these two make me warm and fuzzy at night because I live in a heavy populated area.
    Now if you choose to carry around a full sized carbine around the 5.56 is a great close range weapon and fast followup shots are great.
    The .308 will kill shit dead, period at medium to close range. I agree with the above poster I have shot pigs with FMJ .308 and they fall on their ass right there and die, it is impressive. The 5.56 you better hit them in the head or neck or they will run off-ask me how I know. I shot a 150 lb boar in the shoulder, and side then in the chest head on inside 100 yards with IMI 55 grain 5.56 out of my Colt and he ran off squealing into the bushes never to be found.
    I bought my 6.8 after that, and I still like the .308 for anything a bit bigger or tougher, but very few of us are in a war zone where this would be a reality.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    This is the philosophy of somebody uninformed.

5.56mm is my choice for 0-600m.
    No...just the philosophy of someone who's carried an M16/M4 professionally for 10 years and seen it's flaws in person, and who has also studied history...

You shot many 2 legged predators with 5.56 at 600 meters?
    Last edited by Sheepdog Tactical Gear; 08-10-11 at 10:53.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by R Moran View Post
    Your information is incorrect.

Bob

You're right the number wasn't correct...the battle load was 120 went to 240...posted that after a 32 hour day...my apologies.
    Last edited by Sheepdog Tactical Gear; 08-10-11 at 10:48.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BullittBoy View Post
    I think 90% of "homeowners" in a self defense scenario will be served best with a handgun and a good flashlight, preferrably on the pistol.
    I would disagree...best homeowner defensive scenario weapon is that 12 gauge pump you have in the closet.

Feedback Score
    I think it (.223) will do what you need for defense in civillian applications.

If you hunt dear or larger/harder to kill game and want to stick to one gun/one caliber, then .308 would probably be a better choice.
    Last edited by Ross; 08-10-11 at 11:40.

Feedback Score
    What does a .308 do that a 5.56 cannot?
    It gives me a shit eatin' grin.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    OP asked: What does a .308 do that a 5.56 cannot?

I know that the .308 bucks the wind better, I know it will generally penetrate better, it should have better terminal effects than the 5.56 over a greater effective range.

But does that really impact general civilian usage?

OP, you asked how caliber choice impacts civilian usage. I think the follow-up would be: Civilian usage for what applications? The fact is, outside of range games most civilians are going to use their rifles for hunting or home defense. And the choice between .308 or 5.56 varies, for those applications. I own both, and use both.

* Hunting: for medium to large game (whitetail deer, hogs, and larger), the .308 is more effective, for the reasons you named and as several here mentioned. Although an intermediate cartridge for medium game, ranging from .243 to something like the 6.8, can be perfectly adequate. Of course you can also get lighter recoil and still great performance on medium game using a reduced .308 load. For smaller game, 223/5.56 is very effective, flat-shooting, much cheaper, and has much less recoil.

* Home defense: I'd stick with 5.56. Its terminal effects make it a better choice than handgun rounds, and its reduced noise, recoil, and penetration make it far preferable to the .308, especially inside the house and in urban neighborhoods. Plus the general characteristics of an AR make it generally more effective than handguns or shotguns for home defense.

Feedback Score
    I know a lot of people in homes keep an assault rifle loaded for defense, but if you hear a noise in the back yard or front yard you guys REALLY gonna go out into the middle of the neighborhood with the assault rifle and the bright ass flashlight swinging around? Or is it just a tad easier to check it out with the pistol either tucked in a holster or maybe down by your side or behind your back. Same goes for the 12 gauge, very hard to manuever around a hallway inside a house, great for if you are awake and standing at the front door to scare someone away (yes I still have one). And how many people have set off a 5.56 rifle indoors with no hearing protection? I shot a .22 with a shotshell one time inside my parents garage with no hearing protection and the door was shut at a snake and I was deaf for at least 30 minutes. (yes I was young and dumb-never did it again but that is the only time I have set off anything "indoors").
    Maybe if I lived way out in the country this would be an option I just don't think too many people can maneuver around a normal house with a 16" M4, even with the stock collapsed.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The 308-
    -carries more energy downrange
    -recoils more
    -is generally more expensive to shoot
    -has heavier ammo
    -uses more powder
    -is fired from generally heavier rifles
    -produces more muzzle blast from shorter barrels
    -is more suitable for larger game
    -is a great battlerifle caliber
    -annoys 5.56 fans
    -is too big and powerful for a true assault rifle
    -very fun to shoot
    -shoots through walls
    -is available in some very cool rifles

The 5.56
    -has less recoil and muzzle rise
    -uses lighter ammo
    -generally less expensive to shoot
    -uses less powder
    -can be used in lighter rifles
    -makes a great caliber for a true assault rifle
    -poo-poo'ed by 308 fans
    -very fun to shoot
    -easier to shoot all day
    -less worry about over penetration
    -is available in some very cool rifles
    -well suited to shooting smaller game

I like them both
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Which flaws? People not doing proper maintenance? Shity shot placement and marksmanship?

Have you shoot anyone with it at extended ranges? I worked with an SF team in A'stan and one of the guys did in fact engage two of them at 600M and 800M respectively. They didn't get up and give an interview afterwards.

I find it curious that you have no issue using a .308 or AK for home defense. I guess overpenetration isn't a concern fo you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog Tactical Gear View Post
    No...just the philosophy of someone who's carried an M16/M4 professionally for 10 years and seen it's flaws in person, and who has also studied history...

You shot many 2 legged predators with 5.56 at 600 meters?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast