Thread: 270 WSM vs. 6.5X47 Lapua

Feedback Score

270 WSM vs. 6.5X47 Lapua

Ive got a Rem 700 SPS in 270 WSM w/ a Nikon 4.5x 14. Factory ammo and I can get about 1.25" groups. A year ago I had no problems with that. But Ive added a FNAR to the collection that is without a doubt the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. I know Im not comparing apples to oranges, but I have the bug for something new and am considering reworking my 700 into a 6.5x 47
    Any suggestions or comments?

Feedback Score
    What do you want to do with the rifle? Is it for hunting, long range competition, paper punching at 100 yards? It's hard to recommend something if we have no idea what you want to use the rifle for.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A quick search reveals the 6.5x47 Lapua is case is basically a shortened and necked down 308 Winchester. Rim diameter and base diameter is smaller than the 270 WSM.

The bolt face of your Remington will be too large and the feed rails too far apart to work with the smaller cartridge. The bolt would need to be replaced and the feed rails built up or a detachable box magazine fitted to convert from 270 WSM to 6.5x47 Lapua. It would be better to start with an action designed for the 308 family of cartridges
    Last edited by MistWolf; 03-01-11 at 15:31.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I would just keep the 270wsm until I shot out the barrel. Spend some money on handloading supplys. Bed my action and tune the trigger, shoot till dead.

Like the others said what are you going to do with it? Its a great hunting round. With the mag bolt face your stuck with factory offerings like 325wsm, 300wsm, 7mm wsm, 300 saum and the ruger RCM loadings. If you chose a wildcat you could go 6mm, 6.5mm or 338 just to name a few.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    I sure hope you reload if you want to go with the 6.5x47L. Some have had issues with pierced primers due to the small rifle primer that is used.

And honestly, unless you are going to build a true precision rifle around this cartridge and give it the respect it deserves, I would consider any of the other viable 6.5mm options: .260 Rem, or 6.5 Ceedmoor.

Since you gave us no other info, that's about as much help as I can provide.