Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive flashlights- better than darkness

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Inexpensive flashlights- better than darkness

Like almost everyone else I've got the usual drawer full of high end flashlights (Surefire etc.) How about those ones you keep in the glove compartment, barn jacket, toolbox and other places you don't need a "tactical" flashlight? I'll nominate my best find which is the Costco 3 pack of Cree bulb, 150w max, 3 AAA, aluminum body w/ low, high and strobe w/ pushbutton tailcap switch. $18.00. Been using them for about 6 months now and no problems. They throw a very bright light (no way to confirm the 150w claim) but they are darn bright with a good overspill around a center beam with an even cone of light. Dropped one in the stream while it was on- it took 10 minutes to get it back, no problems it's still working. The soft button tailcap glows red when the batteries are almost dead. Tried a whole lot of other inexpensive lights, these have been the best by far. Made by our Chinese friends natch but what isn't at this price range. BTW- I don't work for Costco. Anybody else have a good find for this type of light?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have been researching the subject of quality >$20 flashlights for placement in vehicles/survival kits/1st Aid Kits/etc....

I recently bought an Inova X1 and it's a nice little LED light that runs on one AA battery.

I also purchased a Gerber Infinity Ultra LED light, but that's back in the states right now so I have not put the two side-by side.

I also want to test the Streamlight Stylus Pro LED and the Microstream LED lights.

Amazon is a great place to buy small lights.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I've settled on the $40 range for my minimum for trust. I've got several Streamlight for that or less. The Polytac is what I have the most of, but when I buy more it's going to be the new P2L which I have one of so far. Either can be had for about $42 delivered from Amazon.

Feedback Score
    Last edited by tracker722; 10-24-11 at 17:02.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Cheap flashlights

I have had good luck with the Ultrafire brand on ebay. They take 123a batteries and a common size module. You can get them with various brightness lights cheaply if you shop around.
    The lights are aluminium and seem to be fairly hardy. There are other brands that the same with different names, they all seem to be from the same factory in China, take a look you might like them.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    For my cheapos that are in every room of the house, I buy these:
    Romisen RC-A4 II Cree Q5 LED
    They have held up great for the cost.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/t...II-Cree/Detail
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For cheap flashlights I've settled on an Energizer head lamp and a Coleman multi color light.

Feedback Score
    I also have multiple high end surfire an streamlight flashlights, but I've had good luck with some cheaper ones. The cheaper ones that I've liked the best are Coleman brand. You can get them in 110 and 150 lumens at Walmart, and they're $24.99. They are LED lights and they're pretty small so you can keep them in pouches or pockets or a glove compartment etc. They seem to put out a good stream of light and have a decent run time. They run on 3 AAA batteries.

Even though I've had good luck with them, my EDC and weapon mounted flashlights are all still surefire.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Not cursing the darkness

I have to say I will only use the best I can afford (usually in the $75 range - Surefire or equal) if I'm carrying a firearm of any type. I'm not going to trust an inexpensive light with no track record. That being said, this thread is for the light you need to find the dropped tractor gas cap or crossing the road to get the mail at night. I know there is a world of inexpensive lights out there, I've tried many of them. The Costco ones have been good performers and at $6 each so far they are the least cost for the best overall results. At that price and with the Costco return policy I'm not out much even if I loose one . I also have a TPI brand for my everyday use on building inspections, it's less than 2" long, has three adjustable light outputs via twisting the head and uses a 123 battery. Clips right onto my cargo pocket of my 5.11 pants, weighs nothing and puts out a little or a lot of light. Got mine at a local gun show 6 months ago, been trouble free. I usually apply a very light coat of Radio Shack brand lube to the O rings and metal to metal threads of all the lights, makes the O rings smother to turn and easier to turn the headpeace and tailcap.

Feedback Score
    I've got a couple of Coleman flashlights that work pretty well and the price was right. I picked up a couple of 120 lumen lights by Gander Mtn around Christmas. They were on sale and I'm pretty happy with them. I'm not really into lights but if you want waaaay more information than you ever thought you'd ever hear about flashlights then check out Nutnfancy on YouTube. He does a good job on his reviews but be warned. They run long. Anyway...he reviews Fenix, 4sevens and some other lights. Seeing him drop some off of an overpass was a decent test of reliability. He gives discount codes to some other sites too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast