Thread: 308 Barrel Choices

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

308 Barrel Choices

Now that I have my tax return I'm shopping for barrels for my MA-Ten build. I was dead set on Noveske, and if anyone had them in stock I would buy with confidence in the greatness of the barrel. I don't mind waiting too long but the waiting has put me into research mode for alternatives if the Noveske barrels take TOO long to come back in stock anywhere.

Question is:
    If you could choose any 308 barrel, what would it be?
    • I have read that Rock Creek Barrels are the bees knees, and that if they are chambered by GAP they are just magnificent

• I have read that Kreiger makes an outstanding barrel

• I have read that Shilens are very nice and that Ranier uses Shilen blanks that are chambered by WOA

Any further suggestions would be welcome, these are just the barrels I've read about over the past few weeks in researching this.

Looking at prices it would seem to be cheaper to buy a barrel straight from the MFG. However they may or may not be chambered nor do they seem to have a barrel extension and possibly no gas port. Where would I get this work done? I would look to ADCO but they don't list any of this work on their site.

The purpose of this barrel will be to push 308 beyond 800 meters and if I can get it as accurate as possible, I'll know the margin of error lies more in me than in the gun

Or should I just wait for Noveske to come back in stock?

Feedback Score
    Kreiger barrel
    Rock Creek Barrel

Also buying a barrel is beyond my technical understanding and I'll be the first to call myself on that. Reading the Rock Creek site is really like greek to me unfortunately So if nothing else, someone could maybe point me to the direction of learning on these things as to make a better decision

Feedback Score
    I'd just give the guys at Noveske a call and see how long the wait will be. Phone: (541) 479-6117
    The closest I get to being an operator is dialing "0".

Feedback Score
    My mind is the weapon, everything else is merely an accessory.

Feedback Score
    Well its moot now. Just ordered the Noveske from Rainier as it just came in stock!
    I don't feel at all guilty with not going with a custom built barrel in the least

Got the bolt coming as well so, only 2 more parts to go and I'll be done!!!!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by caelumatra View Post
    Well its moot now. Just ordered the Noveske from Rainier as it just came in stock!
    I don't feel at all guilty with not going with a custom built barrel in the least

Got the bolt coming as well so, only 2 more parts to go and I'll be done!!!!

The groups I have got with my Noveske 762 18" SS barrel is really fantastic. At 500 yards I had a 4 inch group with 110 grain TAP on steel. 155 grain Amax's seem to be another popular bullet for my 762 Barrel.
    John Noveske Changed My Life.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Cold. I'm looking forward to it

If anyone is interested in doing what I was planning on doing, I got an email from GAP last night and they said they can do a Rock Creek barrel, barrel extension and timing with your own bolt for $625

Feedback Score
    Emailed GAP again to see how much it would all be. The $625 was for the barrel, probably 22" but to cut it down to 18" have it crowned and threaded is $155 and it would be drilled for midlength gas. So, for an 18" threaded Rock creek barrel finished by GAP is $780.

I'm sure it is an astonishing barrel, but that's more than I want to spend on barrel. But I figured I'd follow in case anyone was interested