Thread: Question related to Gold Dot 75gr and Black Hills 77gr OTM

Feedback Score

Question related to Gold Dot 75gr and Black Hills 77gr OTM

In terms of both precision and terminal performance at 600+ yards, does the Gold Dot 75gr match the performance of Black Hills 77gr OTM? If my understanding is correct, the BC of the two rounds are similar, and Molon's testing showed that precision at 100 yards is also similar. I have a very superficial understanding about these topics and I wanted to know if there are other factors that should be taken into consideration here. Thanks.
    No matter how isolated you are and how lonely you feel, if you do your work truly and conscientiously, unknown friends will come and seek you.
    -Carl Jung

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
    In terms of both precision and terminal performance at 600+ yards, does the Gold Dot 75gr match the performance of Black Hills 77gr OTM? If my understanding is correct, the BC of the two rounds are similar, and Molon's testing showed that precision at 100 yards is also similar. I have a very superficial understanding about these topics and I wanted to know if there are other factors that should be taken into consideration here. Thanks.
    at 600yrds in regards to terminal performance? They would both act like FMJs...enter tissue, penetrate several inches, yaw over and exit.
    Last edited by Sixgun_Symphony; 08-10-16 at 17:29.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixgun_Symphony View Post
    at 600yrds in regards to terminal performance? They would both act like FMJs...enter tissue, penetrate several inches, yaw over and exit.
    I think the frag threshold for 77s is 1300+/-?? You might still have this much velocity out of a long barrel. I know that at subsonic or barely supersonic, you're correct... at least for the 77s I shot into water jugs.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I think the frag threshold for 77s is 1300+/-?? You might still have this much velocity out of a long barrel. I know that at subsonic or barely supersonic, you're correct... at least for the 77s I shot into water jugs.
    More like 2300.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses. I remember reading somewhere on this board that 5.56/.223 generally acts like FMJ at something like 300+ yards. I was still wondering though whether Gold Dot 75gr is "as good" as Black Hills 77gr OTM at these long ranges, or whether the Black Hills holds an advantage for whatever reason, be it due to the higher kinetic energy or whatnot.
    No matter how isolated you are and how lonely you feel, if you do your work truly and conscientiously, unknown friends will come and seek you.
    -Carl Jung

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I remember reading somewhere on this board that 5.56/.223 generally acts like FMJ at something like 300+ yards. I was still wondering though whether Gold Dot 75gr is "as good" as Black Hills 77gr OTM at these long ranges, or whether the Black Hills holds an advantage for whatever reason, be it due to the higher kinetic energy or whatnot.
    The 77gr SMK is going to have 2gr more mass, and likely 100-150fps more velocity, on account of being 5.56 pressure. Over-all, not nearly enough advantage to make-up for what it does/does not to in the first 300 yards, IMO

Another consideration for you is the 70gr GMX. It is loaded to 5.56 pressure by Hornady as well as Black Hills, and manages rather respectable accuracy, and is possessed of a G1 BC of 0.35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    The 77gr SMK is going to have 2gr more mass, and likely 100-150fps more velocity, on account of being 5.56 pressure. Over-all, not nearly enough advantage to make-up for what it does/does not to in the first 300 yards, IMO

Another consideration for you is the 70gr GMX. It is loaded to 5.56 pressure by Hornady as well as Black Hills, and manages rather respectable accuracy, and is possessed of a G1 BC of 0.35.
    Thanks WS6, I really appreciate your thoughts on this.
    -Carl Jung

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    More like 2300.
    Is that it? Makes more sense.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v