Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New BH 5.56 mm 50 gr TSX initial data

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidevolk
    Hopefully AmmunitionToGo picks it up.
    Just noticed that ATG is showing they have it in stock here Their price is $70/50.
    Last edited by biodegraded; 03-04-11 at 22:43. Reason: Added price

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by biodegraded View Post
    Just noticed that ATG is showing they have it in stock here Their price is $70/50.
    GONE!

Feedback Score
    Be extra careful and specific if you try to order from FirstStopGun. They have the 55gr .223 loading in stock, not the 50gr 5.56.
    Last edited by Heidevolk; 03-08-11 at 14:42.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by biodegraded View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nowayout View Post
    GONE!
    It's back.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Thx for the heads up.

I just bought a couple of boxes. I'll have to buy a few here and a few there since it is so expensive.

Feedback Score
    So is this the same 50gr TSX that Barnes offers as a handloading projectile? And, is this 50 TSX assumed to have better overall terminal ballistics than the 62 or 70gr TSX? I'm trying to find the "ulitimate" HD projectile to handload. Everytime I think I've narrowed it down I read something that contradicts my decision. So far I've loaded the Sierra 77gr matchking and the 62gr TSX. Federal doesn't offer the Mk318 projectile as a reloading component so that is out of the question. I've also been thinking about loading the Trophy Bonded (tipped) 62 gr as mentioned in previous posts. I'm using a 16 inch 1:7 twist barrel AR. So which bullet should I focus on for reloading. Keep in mind I can create the highest possible velocities that are safely possible. Also, some of the best rounds mentioned by DocGKR (in his sticky) are fragmenting or expanding projectiles. Which is a better wounding mechanism since I have access to both?
    Last edited by jgieske; 03-08-11 at 16:54.

Feedback Score
    So is this the same 50gr TSX that Barnes offers as a handloading projectile?
    As posted earlier - NO.
    Shawn Dodson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jgieske View Post
    So is this the same 50gr TSX that Barnes offers as a handloading projectile? And, is this 50 TSX assumed to have better overall terminal ballistics than the 62 or 70gr TSX? I'm trying to find the "ulitimate" HD projectile to handload. Everytime I think I've narrowed it down I read something that contradicts my decision. So far I've loaded the Sierra 77gr matchking and the 62gr TSX. Federal doesn't offer the Mk318 projectile as a reloading component so that is out of the question. I've also been thinking about loading the Trophy Bonded (tipped) 62 gr as mentioned in previous posts. I'm using a 16 inch 1:7 twist barrel AR. So which bullet should I focus on for reloading. Keep in mind I can create the highest possible velocities that are safely possible. Also, some of the best rounds mentioned by DocGKR (in his sticky) are fragmenting or expanding projectiles. Which is a better wounding mechanism since I have access to both?
    Unless you live alone and not in an apartment I would stay away from the TSX, especially the 62gr and 70gr variety, for home defense. They are good barrier loads (except for windshields) but therein lies the problem. Using them for close quarters engagements where others may be a few boards of drywall away isn't ideal. The 50gr doesn't penetrate as much as the other two, but is still a barrier load.

Any effective bullet can penetrate drywall and harm someone on the other side but the fragmenting designs like the OTM's are less likely to do so and will likely cause less damage if they do. I would load the 75gr Hornady OTM if you have a barrel that will stabilize it but they don't offer the T2 (as loaded in the 75gr TAP) for reloading. It is a bit better for the application so personally I'd get a few boxes of TAP and reload the 75gr OTM as offered for additional ammo.
    Advanced techniques are the basics mastered.

Excellence is an art won by training and habit. We are what we repeatedly do. -- Aristotle

Pistol/Shotgun/Rifle Instructor
    Sig/Remington/RRA/Sabre Armorer

Feedback Score
    How much of that wound channel is permanent cavity and how much is temporary? I didn't realize nonfragmenting bullets could upset such a large cavity. Thanks for posting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidevolk View Post
    Be extra careful and specific if you try to order from FirstStopGun. They have the 55gr .223 loading in stock, not the 50gr 5.56.
    They also have the 50gr TSX 5.56 in stock. I received mine from them yesterday.
    Last edited by AirRaceFan; 03-09-11 at 19:37. Reason: sp

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast