Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food for thought...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Food for thought...

I've never thought about how catastrophic an electrical storm or mass power outage could be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUrCV...4xyhfDhxs2cdFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eaXH...gGNt7MdtkGegd4

I live less than 10miles for a nuclear powerplant...not cool.

Feedback Score
    I've been worried about EMP/solar flare for a while, probably since reading One Second After. It seems that people are just now talking about what happens to our nuke plants if the grid goes down. I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it. Maybe it took Fukushima to get some people to think about this. I figure I'm pretty set for most contingencies short of EMP/solar flare, this makes me want to halt all non-firearm preps.

OTOH, I have been seeing a some things that suggest that the concept of nuclear winter was a KGB psyop to convince the West that it would actually be better to be Red than Dead. In other words the threat of radioactive fallout is grossly overblown; I hope that's the case.
    Last edited by Charlie Don't Surf; 02-14-12 at 21:05. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    CMEs/EMPs are a very real potential event. We're due one anytime.

The Carrington Event is the largest recorded geomagnetic perturbation. It was a result (presumably from a CME) from the first ever solar flare that was observed by man on 1 September 1859. In 1859 they didn't have nuclear power plants that would go into melt down (China syndrome) if they lost power nor where they dependent upon an antiquated power grid.

Here is some good intel on Solar events.
    http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/su...her/index.html

My folks live less than fifty miles from a nuclear power plant, it concerns me as well.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Scheduled for tonight... http://news.yahoo.com/solar-storm-he...162508973.html
    An impressive solar flare is heading toward Earth and could disrupt power grids, GPS and airplane flights.

Forecasters at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Space Weather Prediction Center said the sun erupted Tuesday evening and the effects should start smacking Earth late Wednesday night, close to midnight EST. They say it is the biggest in five years and growing.

The magnetic storm has the potential to trip electrical power grids. Its radio emissions can disrupt global positioning systems to make them less accurate. It also could damage satellites. Scientists said communication problems and radiation from the storm will probably force airplanes to avoid flying over the north and south poles.
    Not the end of the world but something to be aware of.

ETA - I suggest changing the thread title to reflect the content so others who are interested can chime in.
    Last edited by Irish; 03-07-12 at 11:01.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Hmm I wonder if an EMP would knock out the electronic lock on my gun safe? Wouldnt that be ironic? A huge safe filled with guns and I cant get it open

Feedback Score
    my gun safe is wood, so it more of a gun holder, but if you have an electric lock on your safe, there is not a keyed back up you can use?

Feedback Score
    I never even thought about not being able to get into the safe. may want to leave it cracked open for the night.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blstr88 View Post
    Hmm I wonder if an EMP would knock out the electronic lock on my gun safe? Wouldnt that be ironic? A huge safe filled with guns and I cant get it open
    One of many reasons not to have a key pad.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blstr88 View Post
    It should have a regular key to open it, behind the electronic lock, at least mine does. That key, however, is WELL hidden. Hope you like dog poo if you want to go get it

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    ETA - I suggest changing the thread title to reflect the content so others who are interested can chime in.
    I agree, the title of this thread should definitely be changed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast