Page 1 of 220 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you prepared for civil unrest?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Are you prepared for civil unrest?

Often times survival discussions reference a "SHTF" situation in the hypothetical without really delving into what that might truly mean. Discussions of what this might entail would definitely be enlightening but watching actual video of real incidents in the United States should give you a small indicator of how bad it really will get in a time where people are really desperate for water, food, shelter or supplies.

I'm not making any dire predictions but the fact of the matter is there isn't much standing in the way of rioting, looting and mob mentality taking over large parts of our urban cities. New Orleans after Katrina would be a very good example of what people could expect to be dealing with after a major catastrophe or a SHTF situation.

Are you prepared for this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWW2d...layer_embedded

As for me I'm hanging with the Koreans.
    Last edited by Irish; 09-02-11 at 14:42.

Feedback Score
    It has been said the civilization is a very thin veneer that covers a rather nasty society and I agree.

I have come to the conclusion that should I ever have to defend my rural property against a group of people it will most likely NOT be, the Chinese, Al Qaeda, NATO troops, or secret government agents in black helicopters. No, it will be the average unprepared Joe and Jane Q. Citizen after they have not ate a meal in a week. At this point they will believe that they have the “right” to take my stores and livestock for the good of the mankind.

Last month, power was out for 20,000 residents of the county I live in. After 24 hours people were furious that their power was not on. You would assume this was city dwellers only. Yet the most vocal person I saw on the news was a small “rancher” with 100 head of cattle and horses. He could not pump water or keep it from freezing because of no electricity.

If you have the responsibility of 100 animals, why don’t you have a generator? Or a bucket to haul water? Or an ax to chop through the ice in the stock tanks?
    Hard to believe 100 years ago we had pioneers here.

Am I prepared? Short term….. yes. Long term….no. One or two families wont be able to hold out on there own against these folks.

Just my .02
    HD

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    [QUOTE=High Desert;926382 One or two families wont be able to hold out on there own against these folks.
    [/QUOTE]

1. Can the hordes reach your property without dying first? For example, if you live in Tuscon, I don't think you need to worry about vermin from LA because they will die in the Mojave, even if they make it out of the LA city limits.

2. Can you make your area a harder target than other areas? Such as with stuff that blocks the road but is very hard to move, removal of a bridge, placement of a few competent riflemen, etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    after reading your posts I started thinking about my situation as well. I live in a moderate size city (roughly 120,000). I think the first thing that would be looted would be the stores. They seem like a faceless entity at times. I think people would go for those first thinking it is less "wrong." As time moves on and people get more desperate they will start trying to take from people and their homes. I think I only have enough supplies to get through the initial period and then I am suddenly in the boat with everyone else. I think I would be forced to be on the move once my supplies ran out. Probably at the most dangerous time.

I may need to look at my supplies and plan again. Thanks for bringing this up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
    Am I prepared? Short term….. yes. Long term….no. One or two families wont be able to hold out on there own against these folks.

Just my .02
    HD
    Make some friends. Just saying

Seriously work on networking, identifying people who you would see as an asset to your over all survival and invite them to stay with you should the need ever arise.
    Last edited by HES; 03-02-11 at 15:49.

Feedback Score
    85 (99%)
    It would be hard to prepare for something like this. But i am as ready as i will ever be. Glad to be out in the country.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I'm hanging with the Koreans too!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    there isn't much standing in the way of rioting, looting and mob mentality taking over large parts of our urban cities.
    I think that is the key right there...

I know many live in urban and heavily-built up areas due to economics (work), I assure you, I know, as I CHOSE to take a huge pay hit and lack of quality employers to live where I live, and I don't even live SERIOUSLY rural, like Jeremiah Johnson type rural, just farm & ranch rural.

But that is the decisions we all make... How serious does one think the veneer of civilized society is too thin for comfort? I made mine...

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn View Post
    I think that is the key right there...
    We're doing research right now and trying to figure out where exactly we'll be moving to within the next year. Definitely more rural and where we can grow our own food, have a well, etc.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    We're doing research right now and trying to figure out where exactly we'll be moving to within the next year. Definitely more rural and where we can grow our own food, have a well, etc.
    I don't know if we have a year before we see stuff like this....

Page 1 of 220 1231151101 ... LastLast