Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do do about the windows?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

What do do about the windows?

We live at high altitude with about 500 inches of snow per year, and max lows in the winter are -20 F but typical lows in the winter are -5 F to +5 F. Needless to say, we would prefer to keep windows in our house in case of SHTF.

So what do we do?

Option 1: Pre-cut and drill 3/4 inch plywood to bolt in place at the last minute like people do when prepping for hurricanes.

Option 2: Have shutters custom built that have a liner of 3/8" AR500 steel so no one can shoot out the windows. That is going to cost well north of $10K.

Other??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I found a stash of cheap bullet resistant Lexan Lexgard laminate plastics at a local distributor that he was trying to get rid of because the order was cancelled and he didn't want it to take up warehouse space any longer.

I just cut the lexan into the existing frame on the interior of the windows (So the sun has less damaging affect on teh visibility of the Lexan; I have tint on my windows) and secured it per the manufacturers instructions. I would have to check to confirm but I am quite sure the lexan lexgard is bullet resistant up to 7.62 NATO ballistics.

Not sure of what the stuff costs normally, and I don't recall what I got it for, but the guy needed to get rid of it and I got a steal of a deal I believe.

I might even have (10) or so of 4'X6' pieces left that I have no use for. Do you know how much you need? I'll check my inventory and maybe we can figure out a trade or something if you are interested (If I have the stuff/enough still; I'll have to check this weekend when I am down at the property).

Hope that helps or at least gives you a starting point...
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    What threats are you trying to protect against? I'm no expert but I do live on the Gulf coast so I have some experience trying to protect windows.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    At 7488 feet above sea level, isn't that a security barrier in itself?

Or are you in a high altitude city?

Rmpl
    Last edited by Rmplstlskn; 03-04-11 at 14:51.
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I am about 3000 ft higher than the Salt Lake City airport, but a short 10.5 mile hike from the edge of the Salt Lake valley urbanized area. So the threat I want to protect against is people, lots of them, people with rocks, guns, etc. who may leave the valley to forage in case of a shtf event such as a Wasatch Front earthquake, the Great Obama Riots, or whatever.

Feedback Score
    I sure as hell wouldn't want to try to lift steel plates over the windows.
    Maybe armored fiberglass panels have them pre-cut to the window sizes, drilled to bolt them on and they can be painted.
    IDK about the prices http://www.bulldogdirect.com/AP-saferoom-fiberglass.asp

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Window option

Not sure how much cheaper than the steel this would be but maybe you could get some of those small roll up beach storm doors. They appear to be the same as shop roll up doors just alot smaller. They obviously do not have any rated ballistic level. However if you have ever done a media shoot then you will understand how easy it truly is to stop a bullet.

The Lexan option sounds like a great idea to me, offering evreything except a visual barrier in the event of SHTF.
    “It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” Samuel Adams

Those that bleed with me are forever my brothers OCT 28

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    3M security film. You can beat on it with a bat....the window will break but the film will keep the window from being penetrated. No bullet protection but you're looking at big money for that kind of threat protection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYdVK3BqPfk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    I am about 3000 ft higher than the Salt Lake City airport, but a short 10.5 mile hike from the edge of the Salt Lake valley urbanized area. So the threat I want to protect against is people, lots of them, people with rocks, guns, etc. who may leave the valley to forage in case of a shtf event such as a Wasatch Front earthquake, the Great Obama Riots, or whatever.
    Is your home's exterior fireproof? If not, I wouldn't worry about bullet resistant windows when they could just toss a molotov cocktail on the roof and burn you out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Is your home's exterior fireproof? If not, I wouldn't worry about bullet resistant windows when they could just toss a molotov cocktail on the roof and burn you out.
    Very Very TRUE..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast