Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do do about the windows?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Probably a more viable plan would be to just stock some plywood and nails in the garage, in the event you need to cover shattered windows.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Keep some extra plywood around

Unless the rest of the house is bullet resistant I wouldn't worry about the glass too much. Siding, 1/2" plywood, fiberglass insulation and sheetrock don't present much of a barrier to major cal. ammo. I keep enough 1/2" plywood in the shed to cover the windows, I usual wind up using some of it for projects anyway. Just replace what gets used up. I know the usual procedure is to nail or screw the plywood to the exterior but if it gets so bad I need to cover up (SHTF) then I've got enough to cover the window interior also. Think about how much flying glass would be in the room with incoming mail. One bonus of the exterior plywood is to slap a couple of pieces up where there are no windows especially at ground level, it's very frustrating to throw rocks at what you think is a window and it's a solid wall behind it. Just think about trying to kick it it

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Thats so funny, i would love to watch some punk attempt to beat in a wall!

Quote Originally Posted by indawire View Post
    Unless the rest of the house is bullet resistant I wouldn't worry about the glass too much. Siding, 1/2" plywood, fiberglass insulation and sheetrock don't present much of a barrier to major cal. ammo. I keep enough 1/2" plywood in the shed to cover the windows, I usual wind up using some of it for projects anyway. Just replace what gets used up. I know the usual procedure is to nail or screw the plywood to the exterior but if it gets so bad I need to cover up (SHTF) then I've got enough to cover the window interior also. Think about how much flying glass would be in the room with incoming mail. One bonus of the exterior plywood is to slap a couple of pieces up where there are no windows especially at ground level, it's very frustrating to throw rocks at what you think is a window and it's a solid wall behind it. Just think about trying to kick it it
    “It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” Samuel Adams

Those that bleed with me are forever my brothers OCT 28

Feedback Score
    if I was worried about that kind of situation I would also want to see out of my windows without anyone seeing in maybe ? so anything solid might be out ?

I say that 3M film also

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by indawire View Post
    Unless the rest of the house is bullet resistant I wouldn't worry about the glass too much. Siding, 1/2" plywood, fiberglass insulation and sheetrock don't present much of a barrier to major cal. ammo.
    blame hollywood for that. every movie has people shooting out the windows, and taking cover right next to the windowsill. no one on the outside ever thinks to shoot through the wall.

now look at real life. during the waco raid, ATFs were shot when they were walking on the roof, through the walls.

Feedback Score
    Assuming you have some sort of mason walls, plywood and stackable sandbags/pavers/bricks would give the windows roughly the same ballistic protection as the rest of the exterior.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Huff and puff all you want

We were lucky that our house was built in the late 50's It's all brick and stone. About 8 years ago it was resided with wood over the brick, so it looks wood sided but actually has brick walls. That's why I mostly worry about the windows and doors. If I have to cover them, I'll cut slits in the plywood so I can see out. We have a large cabinet to shove in the front glass door opening, the back doors get the moveable cover in case of needing a rapid exit. Granted the roof is always a problem but for the most part I'm most concerned about roving groups looking for easy pickings, not black helicopters overhead. I don't have that kind of firepower anyway. If it comes callin on tracks, I'm hosed. On foot, I'll play the odds before buggin out

Feedback Score
    i have been thinking about going the plywood route myself having precut panels ready to screw in place if the need arises

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EchoMirage View Post
    blame hollywood for that. every movie has people shooting out the windows, and taking cover right next to the windowsill. no one on the outside ever thinks to shoot through the wall.

now look at real life. during the waco raid, ATFs were shot when they were walking on the roof, through the walls.
    Well, if your house is wood frame and built to code there is more framing/flashing/trim/nails around a window than in a comparable section of blank wall.

I wouldn't trust any residential construction to save my life though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12