Thread: Need to add small red dot to go with my TR21R in Larue SPR-EER. Best way to do it?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Need to add small red dot to go with my TR21R in Larue SPR-EER. Best way to do it?

I just got a Trijicon TR21R a few months ago and am having trouble getting used to it for CQB. While I was clearing some back yards after an armed robbery, I really wished I had a battery powered sight. The tritium is OK if no white light is being used, but as soon as I would use my light the reticle washed out. I had already experienced this indoors, but I thought I would be OK outside. (Maybe I ought to train with stuff more before I take it to work!)

Whats the best way to get a small red dot on my rifle as well? I have seen people adding doctors and the like to the scope itself at the 1:30-2 o'clock position. Does this transition as fast as it looks?

I have a surefire M73 rail system. I could go with a 45 degree mount, but I know a lot of people are against mounting a sight on non free-float rails. FWIW the Surefire is rock solid, and the red dot is needed only from about 25yards in.

I am one of those guy who switches gear more than I switch underwear, so maybe I just need to get rid of the TR21R and get a M3 with the 3x on a flip mount.

Let me hear your opinions!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    I just got a Trijicon TR21R a few months ago and am having trouble getting used to it for CQB. While I was clearing some back yards after an armed robbery, I really wished I had a battery powered sight. The tritium is OK if no white light is being used, but as soon as I would use my light the reticle washed out. I had already experienced this indoors, but I thought I would be OK outside. (Maybe I ought to train with stuff more before I take it to work!)

Whats the best way to get a small red dot on my rifle as well? I have seen people adding doctors and the like to the scope itself at the 1:30-2 o'clock position. Does this transition as fast as it looks?

I have a surefire M73 rail system. I could go with a 45 degree mount, but I know a lot of people are against mounting a sight on non free-float rails. FWIW the Surefire is rock solid, and the red dot is needed only from about 25yards in.

I am one of those guy who switches gear more than I switch underwear, so maybe I just need to get rid of the TR21R and get a M3 with the 3x on a flip mount.

If you have the LT SPR mount for your TR21, then you can add their mount that simply put's the mount onto the side of the scope ring.

There are also mounts that attach to the scope itself.

For small optics, the Dr Optic, JPoint and Trijicon Reddot are all good choices.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 09-16-07 at 07:48.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I have run a TR21A for years and sent about 800 to the sand box with no issues or complaints.

TR21R, is the issue when I conducted my operational test and evaluations on the TR21’s the AMBER was deemed vastly suppieor in low lighting levels and when teamed with a light, over the RED by 99% of users. Anyone that thought they preferred the RED soon changed their mind after the first low light usage. In the kind of lighting you are encountering the Black pointer should be very visible on the target in conjunction with a powerful light. A 6V on the 3 o’clock or 9 o’clock rail might not be giving enough of a contrast for this, you might try a switch to the 6 o’clock rail if your not already their and keep the fiber optics full open.

IME The eye relief needs to be optimized for 1.25X, the reticle and the rear eye piece ring should be visible in the target picture with both eyes open ( very similar to a EoTech sight picture) on 4X you will need to crawl the stock about ½-¾ “ and use a dominant eye focus on the target just as any other magnified optic. The Larue SPR-E was built to my spec for this application but you must push the scope all the way forward in the mount , place the mount all the way forward on the upper receiver and use some stock. The TR21 is not optimized with NCH shooting style, there is not enough rail available you run the scope in to the front sight tower before it’s optimized.

For adding a MRD IME it needs to be as low as possible to maintain a chin /cheek weld of some sort. The higher it is off the bore the Line of sight / Point of impact issues are grater.

Have you considered calling Trijicon LE / Mil reps? They might be able to do something toward a Amber TR21.

An Aimpoint and a 3X is a giant step back IME. The optic clarity, FOV, eye relief to avoid scope showiding and snag hazards when the 3X flipped to the side are all major issues for me. Yes I have and use 3X magnifiers but only for capability demonstrations. My first choice for any application is a S&B short Dot. TR21A is my second choice only because of the lack of hold over and hold off reference points in the reticle that the S&B has.
    Out
    2011BLDR

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Thanks! Maybe I will keep at it for a few more months.

I wish someone made a snap-on LED that could make these fiber optics a little more night friendly.

Hell, maybe I just gave away my million dollar idea.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    SIMPLYDYNAMIC mounted an Aimpoint T1 on his scope at a 45 degree angle, I like it.

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks! Maybe I will keep at it for a few more months.

I wish someone made a snap-on LED that could make these fiber optics a little more night friendly.

Hell, maybe I just gave away my million dollar idea.
    Well a 1 ½” Green or Yellow Cyalume Lightstick placed on top of the Fiber optics and retained with 2 rubber bands works as you described on the TR21A‘s but it produces a light signature! I don’t know if it would help on a TR21R or not, or if a Red Cyalume Lightstick would create enough light to help. I wonder what color Cyalume Lightstick Trijicon recommends for use in the TriPower? It is a Red FO also. Lightstick or LED will have a signature! The AMBER really is better than the RED.

Out
    2011BLDR