Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Can I use a non KAC bolt carrier in my Sr-15?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    10
    Feedback Score
    0

    Can I use a non KAC bolt carrier in my Sr-15?

    Greetings,


    I would like to use a low mass Bolt carrier in my KAC SR-15 with the E3 bolt.

    Will it work?


    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    421
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manoloiv View Post
    Greetings,


    I would like to use a low mass Bolt carrier in my KAC SR-15 with the E3 bolt.

    Will it work?


    Thanks
    I would not change the mass of the bolt carrier.

    The KAC system has been engineered to work well with the specific components in mind.
    Alex, Owner of Saber Solutions LLC - sabersolutionsllc.net

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    10
    Feedback Score
    0

    Can I use a non KAC bolt carrier in my Sr-15?

    Im trying to soften the backwards recoil impulse while speeding up the gun

    I feel like there is a small delay similar to the scar 16 but not as pronounced.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Manoloiv; 06-16-16 at 07:43.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    9,165
    Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manoloiv View Post
    Greetings,
    I would like to use a low mass Bolt carrier in my KAC SR-15 with the E3 bolt.
    Will it work?
    Thanks
    We have painstakingly managed the recoil cycle of the SR-15 and do not see that a low mass carrier would be of any benefit, and likely would impair functionality.
    Jack Leuba
    Director, Military and Government Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    10
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    We have painstakingly managed the recoil cycle of the SR-15 and do not see that a low mass carrier would be of any benefit, and likely would impair functionality.
    thanks for the reply regarding the low mass bolt carrier in the sr15. How can I minimize the backwards push i feel from my gun? It seems as though the recoil impulse is delayed similar to that of the scar 16 but not as pronounced.
    I find my sr-15 has more recoil than the legacy mod 1.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    911
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What type of shooting are you doing exactly.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    10
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris View Post
    What type of shooting are you doing exactly.

    Classes, steel and targets


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,919
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have an early SR15 E3 upper.

    It would not cycle some cheaper 55gr. Steel cased ammo, even with the supplied carbine buffer, it never cycled this ammo reliably even with a hot gun in the hot summer. It also would not cycle quality .223 ammo (Prvi 75gr.) in the cold. Because of not being able to further reduce buffer weight I was only able to reduce carrier weight. I purchased and installed a JP lo mass carrier. This fixed my problem. To further tune the system I went to an H buffer. An H buffer + JP lo mass carrier still weighed less than the milspec carrier and carbine buffer combo, but it allowed the gun to cycle my training ammo, and other ammo in the cold.

    I only did this to fix a problem I had due to the gas port size of this gun. I believe since then the gas ports have been increased and this problem no longer exists. I you don't have a problem I probably wouldn't change anything.

    When not running this ammo, and running 5.56 I went back to a full weight carrier and an A5 system with an A5H0 buffer.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    911
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    I have an early SR15 E3 upper.

    It would not cycle some cheaper 55gr. Steel cased ammo, even with the supplied carbine buffer, it never cycled this ammo reliably even with a hot gun in the hot summer. It also would not cycle quality .223 ammo (Prvi 75gr.) in the cold. Because of not being able to further reduce buffer weight I was only able to reduce carrier weight. I purchased and installed a JP lo mass carrier. This fixed my problem. To further tune the system I went to an H buffer. An H buffer + JP lo mass carrier still weighed less than the milspec carrier and carbine buffer combo, but it allowed the gun to cycle my training ammo, and other ammo in the cold.

    I only did this to fix a problem I had due to the gas port size of this gun. I believe since then the gas ports have been increased and this problem no longer exists. I you don't have a problem I probably wouldn't change anything.

    When not running this ammo, and running 5.56 I went back to a full weight carrier and an A5 system with an A5H0 buffer.
    Seems like you did that for the sake of running certain ammo which is a valid reason. The OP is looking lessen recoil which is crazy to me... there's little recoil to begin with.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    10
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris View Post
    Seems like you did that for the sake of running certain ammo which is a valid reason. The OP is looking lessen recoil which is crazy to me... there's little recoil to begin with.
    My goal is to increase speed while maintaining accuracy , the sr-15 has more of a backwards push than my legacy mod 1.
    Im running a fsc556 and regular ammo, no cycling issues.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •