Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I use a non KAC bolt carrier in my Sr-15?

Feedback Score

Can I use a non KAC bolt carrier in my Sr-15?

Greetings,

I would like to use a low mass Bolt carrier in my KAC SR-15 with the E3 bolt.

Will it work?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manoloiv View Post
    Greetings,

Will it work?

Thanks
    I would not change the mass of the bolt carrier.

The KAC system has been engineered to work well with the specific components in mind.

Feedback Score

Can I use a non KAC bolt carrier in my Sr-15?

Im trying to soften the backwards recoil impulse while speeding up the gun

I feel like there is a small delay similar to the scar 16 but not as pronounced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Manoloiv; 06-16-16 at 06:43.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manoloiv View Post
    Greetings,
    Will it work?
    Thanks
    We have painstakingly managed the recoil cycle of the SR-15 and do not see that a low mass carrier would be of any benefit, and likely would impair functionality.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    We have painstakingly managed the recoil cycle of the SR-15 and do not see that a low mass carrier would be of any benefit, and likely would impair functionality.
    thanks for the reply regarding the low mass bolt carrier in the sr15. How can I minimize the backwards push i feel from my gun? It seems as though the recoil impulse is delayed similar to that of the scar 16 but not as pronounced.
    I find my sr-15 has more recoil than the legacy mod 1.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What type of shooting are you doing exactly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris View Post
    What type of shooting are you doing exactly.

Classes, steel and targets

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have an early SR15 E3 upper.

It would not cycle some cheaper 55gr. Steel cased ammo, even with the supplied carbine buffer, it never cycled this ammo reliably even with a hot gun in the hot summer. It also would not cycle quality .223 ammo (Prvi 75gr.) in the cold. Because of not being able to further reduce buffer weight I was only able to reduce carrier weight. I purchased and installed a JP lo mass carrier. This fixed my problem. To further tune the system I went to an H buffer. An H buffer + JP lo mass carrier still weighed less than the milspec carrier and carbine buffer combo, but it allowed the gun to cycle my training ammo, and other ammo in the cold.

I only did this to fix a problem I had due to the gas port size of this gun. I believe since then the gas ports have been increased and this problem no longer exists. I you don't have a problem I probably wouldn't change anything.

When not running this ammo, and running 5.56 I went back to a full weight carrier and an A5 system with an A5H0 buffer.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    I have an early SR15 E3 upper.

It would not cycle some cheaper 55gr. Steel cased ammo, even with the supplied carbine buffer, it never cycled this ammo reliably even with a hot gun in the hot summer. It also would not cycle quality .223 ammo (Prvi 75gr.) in the cold. Because of not being able to further reduce buffer weight I was only able to reduce carrier weight. I purchased and installed a JP lo mass carrier. This fixed my problem. To further tune the system I went to an H buffer. An H buffer + JP lo mass carrier still weighed less than the milspec carrier and carbine buffer combo, but it allowed the gun to cycle my training ammo, and other ammo in the cold.

I only did this to fix a problem I had due to the gas port size of this gun. I believe since then the gas ports have been increased and this problem no longer exists. I you don't have a problem I probably wouldn't change anything.

When not running this ammo, and running 5.56 I went back to a full weight carrier and an A5 system with an A5H0 buffer.
    Seems like you did that for the sake of running certain ammo which is a valid reason. The OP is looking lessen recoil which is crazy to me... there's little recoil to begin with.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris View Post
    Seems like you did that for the sake of running certain ammo which is a valid reason. The OP is looking lessen recoil which is crazy to me... there's little recoil to begin with.
    My goal is to increase speed while maintaining accuracy , the sr-15 has more of a backwards push than my legacy mod 1.
    Im running a fsc556 and regular ammo, no cycling issues.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast