Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrels 101

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The rifled part of the barrel is it exactly the same diameter from throat to bore usually?

Barrels like Centurion Arms barrels taper tighter toward the bore do they cut the rifling with one size tool so far down the barrel then change to a smaller diameter cutting tool for the last section?
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score

Thanks To All - Especially KL

I will have to read all of this a few times before I will understand all that I now know about it.

Does anyone know if a Colt AR6721 is HC?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So where could I find out more info about stainless steel barrels and sub-zero temps? I'm in the process of building a new rifle and I'm looking at some different barrels. Problem is I live in Alaska and occasionally go shooting when it's -30 to -40 out.
    Keep up the good fight

Feedback Score

Kingkroupa - Draw the Line, Man!

If you think that 30 and 40 below zero is trigger training time, should you really be in possession of firearms??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy2004 View Post
    If you think that 30 and 40 below zero is trigger training time, should you really be in possession of firearms??
    I draw the line at -40, it gets down to about -60 where I'm at. Problem is it stays that cold for around 5 months and there are no indoor rifle ranges. So it's either go train in the cold (the enviroment I live in for 5 months) or don't train.

I take it you wouldn't be up for some -50 degree hunting trips up the hills?
    Keep up the good fight

Feedback Score

Temperature

When it gets below 60 above, my toes go numb. There was a drummer named Gene Kroupa a while back. Related?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy2004 View Post
    When it gets below 60 above, my toes go numb. There was a drummer named Gene Kroupa a while back. Related?
    Nope, no relation
    Keep up the good fight

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkroupa View Post
    So where could I find out more info about stainless steel barrels and sub-zero temps? I'm in the process of building a new rifle and I'm looking at some different barrels. Problem is I live in Alaska and occasionally go shooting when it's -30 to -40 out.
    This was something that Kreiger had posted on their website, about using stainless barrels in the cold.

However, from Crucible Steel, the makers of 416R series stainless...

Although all martensitic stainless steels have reduced
    ductility at very low temperatures, Crucible 416R can be
    safely used down to minus 40°F (-40°C).
    http://www.crucible.com/PDFs/DataShe...416Rv12010.pdf

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    This was something that Kreiger had posted on their website, about using stainless barrels in the cold.

However, from Crucible Steel, the makers of 416R series stainless...

http://www.crucible.com/PDFs/DataShe...416Rv12010.pdf
    Awesome, thanks
    Keep up the good fight

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Man that was an excellent write up, Thank you.

Question: I'm admittedly a Daniel Defense fan-boy and for a long time now i have been wondering about their barrel steel. For instance, on "The Chart" DD's 4150 barrel steel is highlighted in blue to show that its Mil spec/ quality like BCM and colt but it doesn't have the "mil-xxxxx" barrel steel that the top brands show. Bushmaster's barrel steel is 4150 according to the chart also but its not highlighted in blue or considered optimal. So, I know there is a difference between DD's steel and BM's steel but i don't know what it is or why DD's is considered as good as say BCM??? Can any1 explain??? I'm a DD fanboy so i'm not trying to knock DD or question their quality, i'm just trying to understand why it's quality. Also, the question in a few posts above about tapered bores is something i am interested in knowing too if someone can answer??? Thanks

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast