Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chicagoland Ranges-Membership Only?

Feedback Score
    Buffalo Range is pretty cool, but according to their website they're only open 4 days per week (M, F, S, Su). The great thing about Buffalo Range is that they have the plinking pit. The plinking pit is simply a huge hole in the earth with 100 firing position. The pit is full of all kinds of stuff (bowling pins, plastic buckets, you name it). While you'll see a large number of people simply using it to fire off rounds as quickly as possible, it is great for doing drills and the like. It's also fun picking out multiple targets and transitioning between them. I've been to the ISRA range and ASC. Both are great, but lack anything like the plinking pit.

Feedback Score
    I live on the border of Will and Kendall county so I am kind of in between buffalo and ASC. I have been to buffalo a few times, nice place and the plinking pit is fun. However, they are very strict on the specific ranges. The rifle range is bench shooting only and if you miss your target or hit the target holding device they will kick you out with a possible lifetime ban. Not what you want to hear if you are trying to zero new BUIS or sight of any sort. You are not allowed to do any dynamic type training and if you fire "too fast" on the ranges you will be kicked out also.

I have a friend who is going to sponsor me at ASC so I will "report" back after I have been there a while

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've been a member @ the ASC since March of this year. I am now involved with the "Action shooting sports" commitee and the planning of our monthly "Practical rifle" event.

I am in the process of setting up a Kyle Defoor advanced carbine class and a Ken Hackathorn advanced pistol class both will be next May/2012.

The ASC is a great club and by far the best club in the area. Things are only getting better and better.
    "The future's uncertain, and the end is always near." Jim Morrison

"Fortuitous outcomes reinforce poor training and tactics"

Feedback Score
    Anyone have a suggestion for an outdoor rifle range in the southern Wisconsin/Northern Illinois area?

I've been to the Bristol range, but wasn't a fan of the single load only rule for centerfire rifles.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Racine?
    "The future's uncertain, and the end is always near." Jim Morrison

"Fortuitous outcomes reinforce poor training and tactics"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Check out the Oak Park Sportsmans Club.

WWW.OPSC.WS

I have been a member for a few years. IMHO it is the best place near shitcago to shoot. It is off of I-55 in Plainfield.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post

WWW.OPSC.WS

I have been a member for a few years. IMHO it is the best place near shitcago to shoot. It is off of I-55 in Plainfield.
    I had heard that they were not accepting new members. Has that changed?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post

WWW.OPSC.WS

Would love to join this club as it is 5 miles from my house.... I just can't seem to get a response from anyone.

Feedback Score
    I think I may have to check out ASC myself. I've heard nothing but good things.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Oak Park takes new members every September. Membership is capped at 300. Every year about a dozen people decide to not renew. The easiest way to get sponsored in is to shoot one of the IDPA, PPC, Trap matches and ask for a sponsor. These matches are open to the public. The dates should be on the calendar. Once you have a sponsor you are placed on the waiting list.

I would be glad to sponsor you myself, but I have been too busy with work to make it to the club much lately.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12