Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How does this build sound? Would you change anything?

Feedback Score

How does this build sound? Would you change anything?

Here's my first SBR.

Specs

11.5 Wilson 1/9 chrome lined barrel/chamber
    RRA Upper Receiver - Rifle Feed Ramps
    DPMS bolt and carrier group
    Stag Factory lower

I'm going to get some kind of 7" free float rail (Daniel Defence most likely) and Noveske flash hider.

Would you change anything. I lubed it generously and took it to the range once so far. 200 rounds on winchester white box 55/62 grain with zero malfunctions.

Now pics.

Thanks

Paul

Feedback Score
    Since you asked, yes, I would make some changes. A lot of changes.

No 1/9 barrel in an SBR for me. In theory, you're already losing stability at range. I'd opt for the 1/7 or at least 1/8 to get the bullet spinning ASAP.

Rifle feed ramps? Not for me on an SBR. I'll take the M4 ramps.

DPMS anything? Nope. Sorry. I have just seen too much junk from them over the years. Perhaps some things have been changing over there, but I'm from Mississippi--you gotta "show me".

Bear in mind that the majority of these changes are due to barrel length and ammo, as they relate to reliability. SBRs are fun, but if you intend to fight, or even train to fight with one, steps should be taken to ensure utter reliability. While I am neither a gunfighter, or an engineer, I am sure others may come along with info more valuable than what I have posted. However, what I have posted genuinely reflects my experiences.

Feedback Score
    Hi

Thanks for the info. I too was leary about the DPMS bolt and carrier but thats what the upper came in with. So far it has been functioning properly. I have a spare stag bolt and carrier that I might swap. Keep in mind that we are limited to 5 rounds in the mag by canadian law so I won't be blasting 30 rounds in a hurry as I would have to change the mag 6 times
    Its my first 11.5 I'm still learning.
    Woludn't 1/7 barrel require a heavier bullet?

Feedback Score
    Swap that bolt now. No, I'm serious. Right now.

1/7 will work fine for 55+ in my experience, and I have shot much more than a few hundred rounds. In addition, if things keep going the way we're heading, nothing but M855 is gonna be available anyway.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulinski
    Here's my first SBR.

Would you change anything.

Paul
    No, you should leave it alone and shoot it. Why screw with it, it is a toy right?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dubb-1
    Swap that bolt now. No, I'm serious. Right now.

1/7 will work fine for 55+ in my experience, and I have shot much more than a few hundred rounds. In addition, if things keep going the way we're heading, nothing but M855 is gonna be available anyway.
    1/9 will handle 855 without a problem.

Feedback Score
    Guys

For now I'm going to shoot it and see how it works out. Its not a duty firearms just a range toy. I'll look into a better barrel with M4 ramps and 1/7 twist in the future.

Thanks

Paul

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox
    1/9 will handle 855 without a problem.
    Of course it will. Most will effectively handle the envogue heavier projectiles, too. That does not mean, however, that they are well suited to the task. For the SBR platform something faster than 1/9 would be more "universally" beneficial.

The gentleman asked what I would change, and I answered the question. One step further, I provided the reasons for the changes and the manner in which I use the SBR, so that he can gauge his needs and use against mine. I thought that was a pretty well-laid out answer to the query without being overly loquacious. Unlike you, I did not assume that it was a toy. I was operating under the assumption that the gun was a tool. I was trying to provide insight as opposed to saying, just "shoot it". I was also taking into account the fact that 200 rounds fired says nothing for reliability. Silly me.

Since I am either being unclear, or have no idea what I'm talking about, I'll bow out and leave it to the experts.

Good luck, Paulinski. I hope your new range toy provides you with all of the therapeutic range time you can possibly take. I know mine do!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dubb-1
    Of course it will. Most will effectively handle the envogue heavier projectiles, too. That does not mean, however, that they are well suited to the task. For the SBR platform something faster than 1/9 would be more "universally" beneficial.

The gentleman asked what I would change, and I answered the question. One step further, I provided the reasons for the changes and the manner in which I use the SBR, so that he can gauge his needs and use against mine. I thought that was a pretty well-laid out answer to the query without being overly loquacious. Unlike you, I did not assume that it was a toy. I was operating under the assumption that the gun was a tool. I was trying to provide insight as opposed to saying, just "shoot it". I was also taking into account the fact that 200 rounds fired says nothing for reliability. Silly me.

Since I am either being unclear, or have no idea what I'm talking about, I'll bow out and leave it to the experts.

Good luck, Paulinski. I hope your new range toy provides you with all of the therapeutic range time you can possibly take. I know mine do!!!
    Edited by Mod - No personal attacks.

That means none, nada, zero.

Keep it polite and professional.

Carry on.

Feedback Score
    Your professional psychoanalysis is greatly appreciated. How much do I owe you?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast