Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How does this build sound? Would you change anything?

Feedback Score
    Hey Guys

Please keep the flaming to minimum. I appreciate everybodys advice thats why I asked the question in first place. Since I'm new to the SBR thing I still have lots to learn. I don't see my gun as a toy but its not something I use for work that I had unlimited budget to spend. If I were to start all over and belive me I will in the future I will build it differently.
    For now I'm going to shoot it learn the basic of SBR's and enjoy as much as I can, and ask questions as I go along.

Cheers

Paulinski

Feedback Score
    I'll be glad to help wherever I can. Enjoy your first SBR. I am sure it will not be your last. It never is!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    His is just for fun like mine is. He'll be at the 50yd. range a lot and won't have any problems.

If it is just a toy and not a tool like mine, when you do want to start upgrading I wouldn't worry about a new faster twist barrel unless you see keyholes on your paper. M4 feedramps will require a new upper and barrel. You can use a barrel with M4 feedramps in a "rifle" upper but there'd be no advantage.

Practice practice practice with what you have. When you get good enough to know that accuracy problems are the fault of the gun and not you, come back and ask for more advice and give details.

Since you have that Stag bolt and carrier- change them out. No reason to try and keep the upper all DPMS.

Go ahead and get a rail if you want. It will make you like your rifle much more, more than likely and won't hurt. It's your money.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dubb-1
    Your professional psychoanalysis is greatly appreciated. How much do I owe you?
    Edited by Mod - Let's cool down and relax.

dubb-1 is highly respected by all on this forum and his advice should be listened to. It's still up to whether you choose to do so.

Please consider this a warning.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dubb-1
    Since you asked, yes, I would make some changes. A lot of changes.

No 1/9 barrel in an SBR for me. In theory, you're already losing stability at range. I'd opt for the 1/7 or at least 1/8 to get the bullet spinning ASAP.

Rifle feed ramps? Not for me on an SBR. I'll take the M4 ramps.

DPMS anything? Nope. Sorry. I have just seen too much junk from them over the years. Perhaps some things have been changing over there, but I'm from Mississippi--you gotta "show me".

Bear in mind that the majority of these changes are due to barrel length and ammo, as they relate to reliability. SBRs are fun, but if you intend to fight, or even train to fight with one, steps should be taken to ensure utter reliability. While I am neither a gunfighter, or an engineer, I am sure others may come along with info more valuable than what I have posted. However, what I have posted genuinely reflects my experiences.
    I was going to post pretty much the exact same thing.

I have a Colt 6933 on the way that addresses all of these issues. Barring that I would contact bravocompanyusa.com and try to find one of their 11.5" uppers and a CMP MPI bolt carrier group

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideHz

Since you have that Stag bolt and carrier- change them out. No reason to try and keep the upper all DPMS.

The only DPMS part is bolt and carrier the upper receiver is RRA. Eventually I will either opt for quality 11.5" or assemble one from quality parts.

Feedback Score
    dubb-1 is pretty much right on it with the rounds. The optimal twist is a 1/7. The tighter the twist the more accurate your shoot will be (provided you can shoot).

The more travel time the projectile spends on the lands and grooves as it leaves the chamber to reach its maximum vel, the better control the round will have after it exits to a "free-flying mode". Stability leads to accuracy.

You are able to fire lighter grains out of a faster twist to a reasonable distance, but you cannot go the other way. The heavier grains will exit, and not to far past 45-60 yrds it will start to yaw, then tumble. Soon the projectile will lose so much velocity it will soon crash to the ground.

I hope I made sense.. At least this is the way I understand it.
    Brett W

Elite Defense
    Vice President of Domestic Sales and Marketing

FN Senior Manager of Assault Weapons - SCAR Program 2006-2010
    Former Troy Industries Inc Director of Operations 2003-2006

Each Warrior wants to leave the mark of his will, his signature, on important acts he touches. This is not the voice of ego but of the human spirit, rising up and declaring that it has something to contribute to the solution of the hardest problems, no matter how vexing!
    -Pat Riley

Feedback Score
    Bottom line how far can my SBR shoot accurately 55 gr and 62 gr winchester white box ammo with the current 1/9 twist barrel? Everything else beeing optimal including the shooter

Feedback Score
    nevermind, logic won't help.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox
    nevermind, logic won't help.
    What do you mean ? Please enlighten me.
    Brett W

Elite Defense
    Vice President of Domestic Sales and Marketing

FN Senior Manager of Assault Weapons - SCAR Program 2006-2010
    Former Troy Industries Inc Director of Operations 2003-2006

Each Warrior wants to leave the mark of his will, his signature, on important acts he touches. This is not the voice of ego but of the human spirit, rising up and declaring that it has something to contribute to the solution of the hardest problems, no matter how vexing!
    -Pat Riley

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast