Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a torque spec for ACOG mount screws?

Feedback Score

Is there a torque spec for ACOG mount screws?

I heard a guy on TOS that used to work at Trijicon say 30 or 31 inch Lbs. but then I sent an e-mail to Trijicon and after a three month wait they replied there is no torque spec.

So I don't know.

Does anyone know?

Edit: Not the thumb nuts but the flat head screws that hold the mount to the scope.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 03-06-11 at 13:19.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would go with what the company said ,best thing would be to tighten it down ,shoot a few hundred rounds check to see if it loosen up if not GTG if it does Tighten it up More repeat

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    Thanks.

The screws that are used on the ACOG have red Nylok on them, so being the one time use screws that they are I will try and get some new ones from Trijicon first.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 03-06-11 at 13:51.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Or just put a drop of locktight on them, and re use.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I would use scope rings and steel screws as a refrence point. I would say no more than 30" pounds as most of my scope rings say no more than 20" pounds. But the screws on the rings are much smaller than that of the acog mounting screws. Some ble locktight will not hurt either.

I have never had issue with the mount screws being loose on any of the ACOGs I have owned. The new Aimpoints that another story.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    I was under the impression that over torquing rings on a tube was because the tube could constrict in one place causing the adjustments to not work properly or erratically while zeroing. The ACOG's mount is no where near the tube so it shouldn't be a problem.

Feedback Score
    The only problem with useing Loctite is I would have to remove the Nylok, which may or may not be a fun time.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've never seen a spec on torque, but 30in-lb doesn't seem unreasonable.

For reference, the torque spec used when slapping an SSDS into its rings is 15in-lb applied to the little screws that hold the rings halves together.

Starting with new screws isn't a bad idea, if the ones you have are the aluminum ones I'm used to seeing, that use a flathead screwdriver to apply. Ping LaRue, and they might take kindly to a request to send steel screws that use an Allen key to tighten.

Blue Loctite is still sufficient.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    JSan,

Yes, I have the flat head screws, though these ones are made of steel. I didn't know LaRue had a hex version.

Thanks.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 03-06-11 at 22:30.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    The only problem with useing Loctite is I would have to remove the Nylok, which may or may not be a fun time.
    What optic do you have? We only use Nylok on the Marine SDO and it's blue. You should have red Loctite and you can just add a little more. We install the mount at 30 in-lbs at the factory.
    Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast