Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a torque spec for ACOG mount screws?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt5172 View Post
    What optic do you have? We only use Nylok on the Marine SDO and it's blue. You should have red Loctite and you can just add a little more. We install the mount at 30 in-lbs at the factory.
    Are you the guy from TOS that used to work for Trijicon that said the torque spec is 30 in-lbs?

I have a TA31H-G.

Eric at Trijicon told me that the screws have a pre-applied red thread locker which I know as Nylok, the thread locker on AR stock screws. He also said there is no torque spec for the mount screws.

I have also heard from some people that sometimes there is nothing on the screws.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 03-07-11 at 11:28.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    Are you the guy from TOS that used to work for Trijicon that said the torque spec is 30 in-lbs?

I have a TA31H-G.

Eric at Trijicon told me that the screws have a pre-applied red thread locker which I know as Nylok, the thread locker on AR stock screws. He also said there is no torque spec for the mount screws.

I have also heard from some people that sometimes there is nothing on the screws.

I'm on TOS site as well but I still work here. Eric was mistaken, the torque spec is 30 in-lbs and we use pre-applied Loctite. Nylok and Loctite are two different materials from two different suppliers, your scope has Loctite.
    Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

Feedback Score
    I'm on TOS site as well but I still work here. Eric was mistaken, the torque spec is 30 in-lbs and we use pre-applied Loctite. Nylok and Loctite are two different materials from two different suppliers, your scope has Loctite.
    Thank you.

Is it possible to install the screws correctly without a torque screwdriver or should I go buy one?

I would instantly know If I was dealing with Nylok or Loctite If I had removed the screws, I was just going off of what Eric said.

When you say pre-applied Loctite what do you mean by that?

Also, the Loctite is red but what number is printed on the bottle?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Thank you.

Is it possible to install the screws correctly without a torque screwdriver or should I go buy one?

I would instantly know If I was dealing with Nylok or Loctite If I had removed the screws, I was just going off of what Eric said.

When you say pre-applied Loctite what do you mean by that?

Also, the Loctite is red but what number is printed on the bottle?
    If you have a torque screwdriver, use the 30 in-lbs. Even though I have one, I've never used a torque wrench to install mounts on my own ACOG's. Just get them tight with a screwdriver that fits, they will be fine. As for the Loctite, use 271.

Feedback Score
    If you have a torque screwdriver, use the 30 in-lbs. Even though I have one, I've never used a torque wrench to install mounts on my own ACOG's. Just get them tight with a screwdriver that fits, they will be fine. As for the Loctite, use 271.
    Will I need heat to remove these screws?

Thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Will I need heat to remove these screws?

Thanks for the info.
    More than likely, I normally use a soldering iron and hold it against the screw head for a few minutes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    More than likely, I normally use a soldering iron and hold it against the screw head for a few minutes.
    Thats a great idea! BTW my TA13F had zero locktight or nylock, just 2 steel screws.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    JSan,

Yes, I have the flat head screws, though these ones are made of steel. I didn't know LaRue had a hex version.

Thanks.
    Check with Trijicon for them, too. I'm getting mixed signals as to who sourced them.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Check with Trijicon for them, too. I'm getting mixed signals as to who sourced them.
    I've got e-mails out to both LaRue and Trijicon.

Feedback Score
    Back from the dead.

Soldering iron worked great, I just held it to each screw for a little over three minutes and they came right out.

I have another question about the Loctite.

Is there any specific reason they chose to use 271 threadlocker out of all the other choices?
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 01-18-12 at 17:18.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast