Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycling?

Feedback Score
    I bike to work year round. Road bike for fun in the summer.

It is great exercise and is much easier on the knees than running. At my age (1st gulf war vet) that matters!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I road bike. Generally once the weather gets better I will be doing 200-300+ a week depending on my schedule. Usually go about 50-65 miles at a time 3-4 times a week. I try to ride a century once a month later in the season(August, September, October).

I am riding a century June 4th so my training will be slightly different since I need to be ready for a century in only 3 months.

Feedback Score
    I do the road bike thing. I live in the front range of Colorado near Denver, there's lots of good cycling here.

Regarding the loss of muscle, you just need to mix it up. I have specialized in riding for too long, I need to mix it up with running and weight training.

I treated a big day of climbing like a day in the weight room, I ate well that day and the next. I found I recovered well and put on some muscle. On recovery/spin days I ate light and ramped up if I was going on a harder ride. That seemed to work for me.

I'm a bit on the large side for a road biker, so picked up an aluminum framed bike last summer. The stiff frame made a huge difference in my performance. I was flexing the hell out of my steal/chrome molly frame bike.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I ride all mountain but like to commute. Any ideas on a low cost road bike that will handle 20 miles a day? It is tough riding a 5.5" travel FS bike through the city.

Looking to spend $500 or so just to get a bike and see if it is worth it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you're just commuting (and depending on your terrain) i'd go single speed. Cheaper and less maintenance.

Slap some fenders on it and ride. Checkout a Felt Dispatch or used specialized langster..
    Last edited by J-Dub; 03-09-11 at 11:14.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I want versatile. I also want something that I can ride around anywhere and Pittsburgh is full of hills. I am unsure how a single speed would work.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    If you're just commuting (and depending on your terrain) i'd go single speed. Cheaper and less maintenance.

Slap some fenders on it and ride. Checkout a Felt Dispatch or used specialized langster..
    I ride a road bike and don't find myself spending a lot of time on maintenance.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    I rode a mountain bike all last year on and off the road with tire swaps and what not and still didnt have much work at all to keep it up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I commute using a mountain bike with semi-slick tires, but most of my bike commuter co-workers ride older road bikes. Related to cycling, is anyone here into cyclocross? I have always wondered about trying that.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    well i guess its all relative...

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast