Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Once in a while a good SHTF vehicle comes up for sale...

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Once in a while a good SHTF vehicle comes up for sale...

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WWII-...item2a0e90a7e3

On a more serious note, personally I do not see travel being very practical once SHTF starts due to (a) enormous traffic jams with abandoned cars, (b) road blocks manned by gangs intent on robbery or murder, (c) sniping and other attacks which most of our vehicles simply cannot withstand. While a surplus deuce and a half has lots of great uses, the guys inside them suffered lots of bullet holes in Mogadishi. So that means travel could be accomplished by: (a) APC or simiilar, (b) on foot, at night, stealthily, (c) in infantry-style units which clear the road and nearby structures before the vehicles advance, then repeat, or (d) private aircraft stored somewhere (in a bunker?). The problem of SHTF travel seems nearly intractable.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    That would be awesome. You could use it to go out and get other supplies a month or two into the situation but keeping it hidden from others while you were in your bunker would be hard.

How would you keep others from taking it?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nowayout View Post

How would you keep others from taking it?
    Shoot them
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Makes sense but let me rephrase my question.

Your in an underground bunker.

Where do you keep the tank?

How do you defend it?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you were rolling around town in an APC or Tank you would definitely draw attention. Everyone would be curious to see who had planned ahead..

Agree with OP, travel after the fact would be difficult. This is why many are advocating a bug-in style plan. As for me? I'd like to be out of harms way well in advance. Back to work I go!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Have you seen one of these up close? I tired to climb in to one that was on display when given a chance, at 6'2" and 240lbs I was WAY too big to fit into that rolling can.
    You'd have to be a midget to drive that thing.

Then, there is the issue of getting 37mm ammo....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Given the time and money to invest it such a thing, it would indeed be fun. It evokes images of James Garner and "Tank".

Every once in awhile, I threaten to buy a Peacekeeper. Much more affordable and practical than a track, but not quite the same effect.
    Last edited by ST911; 03-07-11 at 17:41.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

vics

I agree movement will be difficult in all but the best states with the smallest towns I would imagine. I think a good alternative is a quiets enduro or maybe even a bicycle. but the good ol heel-toe express never fails.
    “It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” Samuel Adams

Those that bleed with me are forever my brothers OCT 28

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The tank is approx. 50% restored and is missing some internal parts like ammunition racks and brackets. All mechanical parts are present. It does not have any live guns.
    Dammit.

Feedback Score
    Naw...From that era, I'd go for an old half track personally.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast