Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: $300 budget 1-4x or 1.?-6x illuinated Scope?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Anyone have any opinions on the Millett 1-4x24 DMS Tactical 30mm Riflescope or Leatherwood 1-4x24 CMR Tactical 30mm Riflescope, in regards to the under $400 range 1x4 optics, primarily for use in local carbine/multi-/3-gun competitions and possibly for LE duty use?
    www.king33training.com

Si vis pacem, para bellum

2/1 SFG(A)
    ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM / DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For that price point I would go non-illuminated and get a Leupold Mark AR 1.5x4. You will get a better American manufactured scope with better glass and great customer service. If you try to go illuminated for that much money you are going to give up a lot elsewhere.

PS. an additional thought. If you are set on illuminated I would take a serious look at Leupolds new VX-R 1.25-4x20 with the Fire dot reticle. It's about $100 bucks more but there are some nice reviews on it in this forum.
    Last edited by Nightvisionary; 03-17-11 at 15:44.

Feedback Score
    So, the OP's already bought something else, but if anybody else is looking, then I'm a Nikon fan, too.

IMHO, don't get this one:

Quote Originally Posted by J_Hernandez View Post
    for a 300 budget i would get the Nikon M223...
    Like armakraut said, get the African. It's the same scope without the goofy turrets and reticle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I checked out the Mark AR 1-4x yesterday when I was at the gun shop picking up my girlfriends AR. It is a nice scope for under $300. I liked the eye relief and it was nice and clear.

A side note: A friend of mine gave me a new Cabelas 5x 4-20x-44mm and I think this scope is unusable if the power is turned up higher than 7x? You just can't adjust to see anything for long enough to take a shot! I can't believe they charge $300 for it!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Xfire68 View Post
    ... I think this scope is unusable if the power is turned up higher than 7x? You just can't adjust to see anything for long enough to take a shot! I can't believe they charge $300 for it!
    This isn't a problem with Cabelas quality, just a result of too much magnification...

Magnification of more than 8x or 10x so is useless unless you're shooting off a bench at a stationary target, because the image is too jiggly and the field of view is too small.

There's a reason that handheld binoculars are usually only 10x magnification — anything more would be counterproductive.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    This isn't a problem with Cabelas quality, just a result of too much magnification...

Magnification of more than 8x or 10x so is useless unless you're shooting off a bench at a stationary target, because the image is too jiggly and the field of view is too small.

There's a reason that handheld binoculars are usually only 10x magnification — anything more would be counterproductive.
    Oh I see. I am pretty new to scope shooting even though I have been shooting for a number of years it has been handgun. I bought a AR and now am trying out different option for optics. I was born with poor vision and now that I am over 40 I think that my eyes are getting a bit worse. Now knowing that this scope can possibly be used as long as I have a steady rest or bipod. I will have to get some better 1" rings and give it a try? Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by Xfire68; 03-19-11 at 22:34.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Xfire68 View Post
    I will have to get some better 1" rings and give it a try?
    It doesn't sound like it's a rings problem, unless the scope is actually loose on the gun...

Take it to a range and start at the lower powers at 100-200yds. Use the bench, and rest the foreend on something so that you're not jiggling yourself crazy.

Once you get used to pointing it, then it'll be easier to shoulder the rifle and have it pointing at what you want to see, but again, anything more than 10x or so is going to be hard to use shooting offhand.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well it was the rings. At least in the sense that they were to low and that was the problem with lining up your eye with the optic.

I bought some High Weaver Grand Slam mounts but those did not work either (To low) so I brought those back and got some Weaver See Through mounts that were about another 1/2" higher and that seemed to do the trick! I can crank it all the way up to 20x without any issues. It is clear and the focus on this scope works great for picking up things in the background or foreground.

Thanks Bimmer for making me think twice about the scope and look for the problem! It fixed it!

Feedback Score
    Eye relief

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast