Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LMT 10.5" upper designed for suppressor?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15barrels View Post
    They did specifically have the suppressur use in-mind.
    That's why the gas port is smaller.
    The fact that your action stays clean supports the fact that you have it properly setup.

Any AR that has extraction ills, excessive recoil or runs really dirty is probably unlocking pre-maturely.
    Of course some of these over-gassed symptoms are used in support of the gas piston as well.
    It's really just a matter of choosing the right ammo and buffer configuraton and direct impingement AR's should run pretty clean.

Would you happen to know if the LMT 14.5" upper is designed the same way? I had a no name 16" M4gery upper that was super dirty no matter how heavy of a buffer or different kinds of ammo that I ran through it. I basically gave up on it and got rid of it cheap. Like they say though, buy quality once. I would like to put together another Mgery and was thinking the LMT 14.5" might be the way to go. I run a suppressor more than not so my main concern is keeping the gun as clean as possible with a suppressor.
    Last edited by Wraith; 09-19-07 at 12:54. Reason: Edited for clarity.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Would you happen to know if the LMT 14.5" upper is designed the same way? I had a no name 16" M4gery upper that was super dirty no matter how heavy of a buffer or different kinds of ammo that I ran through it. I basically gave up on it and got rid of it cheap. Like they say though, buy quality once. I would like to put together another Mgery and was thinking the LMT 14.5" might be the way to go. I run a suppressor more than not so my main concern is keeping the gun as clean as possible with a suppressor.
    LMT's 14.5" and 16" have gas ports similar to Colt and others.
    If you get a 14.5" or 16", I recommend the LMT enhanced carrier as it will delay the unlocking of the action, giving more time for the bullet to get out the front of the barrel/can.

The reason some AR's run so dirty is that the action is unlocking before the barrel pressure subsides.
    This leaves the chamber open to vent the barrel gasses into the action.
    If you open the chamber later, most of these gasses have already run out the front of the barrel.

The use of a suppressor makes this problem worse because it holds the pressure longer than a plain barrel does.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123