Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: early A2 .. retro or not ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Crocs View Post
    I suppose you could consider it retro, Esp if you get it complete with an A2 lower- Notice how the reinforcements on the RE area and pivot pins are a bit more subtle than that of current lowers.
    Ive always been curious about this. Was this just a Colt thing or a specific forging company's design or are current lowers infact a 3rd generation design?
    thats a good question.. hope somebody can answer.
    peabody
    i started this life with nothing.....kept most of it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    yeah..they sure are...

peabody
    I suppose they might be useful for designated marksmen but inside 200m with modern optics they have no advantages over an M4.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    The A2 has no batteries. Its less expensive and it works. No optic to fog up, crack, fall off or break. I have two flat too uppers with Aimpoints. I have a spare A1 upper with even less to break. I imagine they're lighter too.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If the optics on my flat top break, I find myself with the same degraded capability that a shooter with an iron sighted rifle started out with.

Note that I don't think the A2 is the only obsolete rifle, the A4 is as well. It's just too damn long and heavy. Especially in the butt. When I do use iron sights only I prefer A1 uppers anyway. A fighting rifle doesn't need target sights. Well, technically the A2 sights were intended for the LMG, for area fire beyond the range at which the enemy can be seen in the field without the aid of magnified optics.

Feedback Score
    I love my A2, but it's obsolute and as such it's eligable for retro status.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    A2 makes a better people beater when you run out of ammo though!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you're out of ammo, there will be plenty of people who won't mind if you use their rifle...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It ain't retro till it's on the C&R list. Wishful thinking, I know.

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    Note that I don't think the A2 is the only obsolete rifle, the A4 is as well. It's just too damn long and heavy. Especially in the butt. When I do use iron sights only I prefer A1 uppers anyway. A fighting rifle doesn't need target sights.
    Seems like the longer range engagements in Afghanistan gives the A4 with an RCO a distinct advantage over the M4. But then again, Afghanistan was "obsolete" when I was there, too.

Feedback Score
    I still have my Colt A2 Gov't Carbine, only shot 300 rounds through it. The right side of the magazine well is totally flat, nothing protecting the Mag release Button from ejecting the Mag if its dropped, looks strange being so flat. Should I retire my A2 and hang it on the Wall?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast