Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 930SPX

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Mossberg 930SPX

Looks like Mossberg has added a 'Tactical' 12g autoloader to there lineup.
    It resembles the FN SLP. Gas operated, 7+1, same type ghost ring front/rear sights with rail, Choate mag extension.
    Doesn't use a dual piston setup like the FN and supposedly not as finicky with ammo. Self regulating gas system. Wonder how felt recoil is with this?
    Have handled one locally and seems like a decent shotgun. Price around $550 or so. May have to get one and try it out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mossberg pumps are serivicable.

I have avoided Mossberg autos like the plague. They can stick as many "tactical" accessories as they want on it, I still wouldnt trust it to be reliable when it counts.
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Agreed. Current Mossberg semi-autos are unsat for serious purposes.

I'm curious to know if this is a tac'ed-up sporting model, or if they made other improvements. A purpose-built fighting shotgun with some features as standard would find a market and be welcome.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No idea other than what little I've read about this shotgun. Not really familiar with Mossberg shotguns other than the 500/590 series which I like but prefer my 870s instead.

Was wondering about this as its an auto. Never had any experience with the 9200 though have heard that it wasn't any good.

Feedback Score
    I'll let you know after Monday, I just picked up my SPX today. Been good reviews of the 930 actions over the last couple years with the field hunter models. I've never been afraid to try something new and give it a chance.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Afterthoughts:

The stock looks like a standard LOP, and will be too long. I wonder if it will be available with a short/youth/bantam/tactical option, or will I have to power-up the table saw?

The mag extension dosn't appear to be supported. If this is tac'ed up commercial production, I'd worry about overall material quality, and sufficient thread engagement, to support extra weight. Especially given impact or other anomaly this shotgun might experience.

Mossberg always get's soooo close. C'mon, guys...
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I bought this to try based on the reports of the 930 action. It was bought for the purpose of three gun matches. Around here there are several cop only three gun matches a year. I prefer the 870 for a fighting gun and not autos....But I have had 1100 and 11-87s in the past and they never met expectations or reports. Benellis are out of my price range, need modifications etc. We'll see but as far as thread engagement, I checked and it has more than my Rems do. I shoot my guns a lot and contrary to what some want to believe...you do not always get what you pay for. there are some very good weapons out there for bargain prices. Remember 1985...Glock

Feedback Score
    SPX update after trip to range. Started with 25 rounds of full power Win slugs (to break er in). Then zeroed the ghost rings with 25 rounds of Rem 'reduced recoil' slugs. followed up with 100 rounds of cheap light Federal 7 shot bird loads (typical 3 match stuff).

No stoppages so far though that is not a lot of rounds at this point.

Does come with a stock adjustment kit to raise or drop the angle of the stop. But no high enough for me (which seems to be a common issue on most rifles and shotguns I mount). So, threw on a Blackhawk shotgun cheek pad/ammo holder to raise the cheek weld a bit. Much better, though I may remove the Pic rail and have a ball end mill run down it to lower it a bit after a match in a couple weeks.

Feedback Score
    Another 250 rounds (Fed birdshot) pretty much as fast as we could run it against 6 lollipop steel plates. Had to get out the nomex gloves for rol over speed reloads, that sucker like all of them get hot.

No problems to report. I really like this. Buddy was shooting it too who shoots a Benelli... he liked it abunch.

No rubber rings and shit like the Remmys. Dual gas ports. So after all that (about 350 shot and the slugs from the first day out) I finally cleaned it.

Feedback Score

Mossberg 930 SPX

This gun has now shot 200 rounds in total, all of these with only rudimetary cleaning of the gun. I've added a few basic accesories which seem to be working well ; a Surefire E2DL Defender light, Nordic Components barrel mag clamp+rail and a VLTor light mount. The mounts have thus far successfully held the light in its place without 'drifting' forward from recoil. i considered buying a Surefire tape switch for the E2DL light but am on the fence, as it's a pretty simple move forward of the left hand to engage the push button of the E2DL.
    The light and mount does add a bit of weight forward but it actually serves to steady the gun, at least it does for me. The only other add on may be a red dot sight on the rear rail, perhaps the Aimpoint Micro T-1. I must say however that the Aimpoint might prove to be a superfluous addition as the 930 spx ghost rear and fiber optic front sight tower are an effective and easily picked up combination.
    Opinions ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast