Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dump Pouches, Why?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Dump Pouches, Why?

So, I have been going back and forth with this and have discussed this in the past with others, but I want to get you guys' opinions/theories on why you personally use a dump pouch.

My personal theory is that dump pouches are only absolutely necessary if you can't afford to lose your mags/gear because there is no possibility of resupply.

If resupply is possible, and I am in a firefight, I don't want to take the extra 2+ seconds to:
    1) locate fresh mag in whatever is my next reload pouch
    2) extract mag
    3) perform tac reload
    4) retain empty mag in hand
    5) reach around and locate my moving/swinging dump pouch
    6) drop mag in dump pouch

***when utilizing a dump pouch, I am talking about empty mags. Partial mags are tac reloaded into an empty mag pouch. I would think that mixing partial mags and empty mags in a dump pouch is not wise. (1911 mag, m4 mag, twinkie...lol)***

It seems to me that in a situation where resupply is possible, then I would want to "speed reload" as fast as possible and just drop the mag, win the firefight, and come back to pick them up later. My life is way more important than a $15 piece of gear.

By resupply, I mean that either you are mil/leo with supply lines, or a civilian who can go purchase new mags.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 03-10-11 at 09:49. Reason: Edited for content

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Ever heard of a tactical reload?
    in any reload, returning the weapon to operation is first priority. So in the case of magazine retention, one would use the side by side or rockback technique, where the new magazine is placed on the old magazine, which is then extracted while at the same time the new magazine is put into the weapon. The end result is a quick reload that also retains your old magazine in your hand.
    yes, life is more important than a magazine, but if on the move and in direct combat, that magazine may later be your life. Judgement needs to be exercised.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Hey

Couple of questions?
    Are you MIL/LE active or prior?

School of thought in my pond is those few rounds in a mag in the pouch could be a deciding factor if you are still in the fight.

You don't want your enemy to gain access to the ammunition is another.

Have I dropped mags and kept going yes. Have I put them in the "pouch" and then used those few rounds later, yes in training.

Ultimately it is your decision, and I believe the deciding factor will be the situation you find yourself in having to use said weapon and engage hostiles.
    Last edited by jklaughrey; 03-10-11 at 09:38.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Yes I know what a tac reload is...I've been shooting long enough...but you're right, I didn't list the correct order of steps for a reload (dump pouch use including a tac reload) I will revise...

But when you perform a tac reload, you generally do that with a partial filled mag in you gun, not an empty mag. In the case of a partial mag, wouldn't you store the mag in a mag pouch instead of a dump pouch?

With an empty mag I would think that you either speed reload and drop the mag OR tac reload with the use of a dump pouch.

With a partial mag I would think that you tac reload and store in whatever mag pouch is your sop

Feedback Score
    When I was deployed I loved having a dump pouch.
    1. As masakari stated I used them to store mags after a tactical reload. If weapon was dry I did not care what happend to the mag.
    2. The rounds could save you later, supply isnt always going to ahve everything you need, and it keep s Plt Sgt's happy if you retain gear.
    3. They are also a good way to store other items that you pick up along the way or a little bite to eat. We were in flight suits most of the time and lacked pockets.

I never had issue running or performing other tasks with the dump pouch and as long is I didnt end up upside down things stayed very well.
    Guess its really up to you and what role your performing in.
    Well its only a 9 mm.
    Well when I put two through your heart and one through your head you wont know the difference.
    Unknown Navy SEAL

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Ironman

The question you asked wasn't about "reloading" but about why the use of a dump pouch. If you are asking about weapon manipulation skills you should redefine your question sir.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jklaughrey View Post
    The question you asked wasn't about "reloading" but about why the use of a dump pouch. If you are asking about weapon manipulation skills you should redefine your question sir.
    I have edited my original post...hopefully that clears it up slightly.

The question is about dump pouches being used during reloads of mags that have run dry....does that help?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Couple of questions?
    Frame of reference would definitely be helpful here.

Also, it does appear that this is yet another gear questions based in a misunderstanding of TTPs. In other words "what is a penis for" when someone doesn't understand what sex is, or how to do it.
    Last edited by rob_s; 03-10-11 at 09:54.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Couple of questions?

School of thought in my pond is those few rounds in a mag in the pouch could be a deciding factor if you are still in the fight.

You don't want your enemy to gain access to the ammunition is another.

Have I dropped mags and kept going yes. Have I put them in the "pouch" and then used those few rounds later, yes in training.

Ultimately it is your decision, and I believe the deciding factor will be the situation you find yourself in having to use said weapon and engage hostiles.
    I am a civilian. In training, I have always just dropped mags when they run dry and tac reloaded partial mags into an open mag pouch. I have never used a dump pouch, and was just wondering what you guys' theories were on the subject.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    When I first started taking carbine classes, I used one. As I have grown in my knowledge and downsized the amount of kit I wear in a class (as I am a lowly civy), I got rid of them.

Cargo pockets are now utilized for partially spent mags.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 03-10-11 at 09:58.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast