Thread: Difference between plate and armor carriers

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Difference between plate and armor carriers

I'm going to be purchasing a platform to carry mag pouches and other molle pouches. The use will be for recreational shooting and classes. I'm trying to figure out which would better suit my needs before I spend the money. I've settled on Eagle Ind. as the manufacturer I want. Would the Eagle LE ARMOR carrier or PLATE carrier be better for my needs? Can someone please explain the difference between the two. I understand one would carry ballistic panels and the other would carry plates but what else? What makes the difference of $100? Chances are I won't need to install armor/plates in them, I'll just be using it for the platform. Thanks for your help. Here are links to the two:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/eagle-in...ier-molle.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/eagle-in...forcement.html
    Last edited by hearno; 03-11-11 at 22:31.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The nutshell difference between a plate carrier and an armor carrier is just that- one carrier plates, the other carries armor.
    Some plate carriers may have space for soft armor backers for the plates. Plates are generally intended to be worn over soft armor of backers, in order to obtain optimum protection.
    Armor carriers sometimes, but not always, have pockets for plates.

A word of caution, plate carriers and armor carriers don't hang on one's body, or carry gear, as effectively if they're not worn with armor or plates. Ask yourself what you're accomplishing or trying to accomplish by training, then ask yourself, honestly, if you need an armor carrier, or if you would be better served by a chest rig or just a good belt.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Chameleox is right. You may be better served with a chest rig vs. an armor or plate carrier. The chest rigs will also be much less cumbersome and still accomplish your objective.
    "Those who fight monsters should take care that they never become one. For when you stand and look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you."
    ~ Frederich Nietzsche

Remington 870 LE, Glock, and AR-15/M16 Armorer
    NRA Firearms Instructor: Basic Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun
    NRA LE Instructor: Patrol Rifle
    USPSA TY58905 "C" Class Production

Feedback Score
    If you don't have and don't plan to buy armor, a chest rig is much better than a full on plate carrier/armor carrier/vest. To much heat is trapped on your body by it.

Of course the better option is a war belt if you want a training/SHTF type rig.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    At work I use either an LBV by Blackhawk or a heavy vest and I'm used to doing reloads etc from that type of setup. I had considered a chest rig but I'm not familiar with them and how they work. I was hoping to stick with something similar for muscle memory reasons. Additionally, at some point I might need/want to add armor depending on range rules etc so I don't want to have to but a second setup.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hearno View Post
    At work I use either an LBV by Blackhawk or a heavy vest and I'm used to doing reloads etc from that type of setup.
    What about using your work equipment, or just getting a copy of it?

I had considered a chest rig but I'm not familiar with them and how they work. I was hoping to stick with something similar for muscle memory reasons.
    You can set up a chest rig/LBV/Belt to approximate the location and types of pouches you'll be reloading from.

Additionally, at some point I might need/want to add armor depending on range rules etc so I don't want to have to but a second setup.
    If it doesn't match what you're training for, then it won't help to have a cool new armor vest. Besides, you can also just buy a low profile armor carrier that you can fit under your LBV or chest rig when you want or need it. You can also wear the armor independently, or under a uniform shirt. Can't do that with an external carrier.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chameleox View Post

1. What about using your work equipment, or just getting a copy of it?

2. You can set up a chest rig/LBV/Belt to approximate the location and types of pouches you'll be reloading from.

3. If it doesn't match what you're training for, then it won't help to have a cool new armor vest. Besides, you can also just buy a low profile armor carrier that you can fit under your LBV or chest rig when you want or need it. You can also wear the armor independently, or under a uniform shirt. Can't do that with an external carrier.
    1. Not allowed, I'm not writing that letter to the chief if something happened. Copies are just as expensive as the what I'm looking at.

2. I'm not familiar with chest rigs and see above for why LBV's are out.

3. I'm looking for a specific solution I think the Eagle plate/armor carriers are what I'm looking for. I'm just trying to figure out which of the two would suit my needs better.