Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Dump Pouches, Why?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    If anything between drills I'm stripping leftover rounds out and creating full magazines to put back into my pouches.
    this, plus it's just a convenient place to put something in that's always in the same location. my use is just as a civvie at the range or in the desert. i've used it to carry a couple of extra mags to replenish mag pouches on my belt if i'm not wearing a rig, and i'm not retaining empties. i find stuffing mags into cargo pockets slower, and more irritating when running than using the dump pouch.
    i've used it for water bottles, NVGs and other items that i didn't have pouches for.

Feedback Score
    In my limited experiance dump pouches can be useful for classes so you dont lose your crap. However Retaining empty magazines in a firefight can be a bad habit, if thats the only way you practice- many people on this forum would most likely agree with that statement. However if you practice to speed reload and dump your mag on the ground then you can always bend/squat down and grab it and put it in your pouches if theirs time. My way of thinking is that, If there isn't enough time for me to bend down, grab my mag and throw it in my regular pouches then i shouldnt be retaining a mag anyway. If there is, i will. Im not going to risk my life for a mag.

Its not really a question of resupply for me, its more a question of time and danger. If i'm being shot at and i don't have cover then i would never retain, regardless of if it was the last mag on the planet. However, if i have good cover (physical or from a friend) then i might carefully grab my empty mags and pocket or pouch them even if i have a ton, because you never know.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    When I first started taking carbine classes, I used one. As I have grown in my knowledge and downsized the amount of kit I wear in a class (as I am a lowly civy), I got rid of them.

Cargo pockets are now utilized for partially spent mags.

C4
    BINGO!

Once every 3-5 years I'll go bird hunting and use the dump pouch for birds.
    Last edited by markm; 03-10-11 at 18:53.

March to the sound of guns and kill everyone not dressed like you
    Feedback Score
    I've actually gone back to running a dump pouch. For the same reason I got rid of my drop leg harnesses and went to a "war belt" or whatever you them.

I loath running with anything more than candy or paper in my cargo pockets. Any weight on my legs makes it feel lopsided and slows me down.
    Also, the velcro on ACU pants isn't enough to hold mags in when you're crawling in the prone.

That said - the new multicams have button pockets. We'll see what happens.

Do what works for you.

Feedback Score
    Being from CA, I started running a dump pouch (the old Eagle SAS unit) because I simply couldn't replace my pre-ban supply of standard-cap 30 rd mags. I wouldn't intentionally subject them to hard treatment. Silly, I know, but necessity and all that...

Now that we can get 30-rd profile 10-rd PMags, it's kind of a non-issue, but I still use the dump pouch on the range. It's just too handy not too IMO.

Feedback Score
    I have to agree with the civi guys that use them in training. Its a good place to put loose stuff, whether it be mags, eye pro, ear pro what ever. When you show up to a class or the range you don't have to spend time thinking about where to stick/carry all this stuff and you can focus on learning. Like Rob my HD gun has a redi-mod so I practice using it for speed and tac reloads and I plan on grabbing only the gun with its two mags if I have to go make loud noises. When I'm at the range though I don't want to run back to the bench for more mags, drop them all over the place or wear some kind of chest rig that I would not be wearing at home.

Feedback Score
    I don't use a dump pouch at work, while carrying my weapon concealed, at the range, or walking around in my comfy pants at home; so why would I use one while training?

When doing a tac reload, I store pistol mags in my belt line and the AR mags get thrown into a cargo pocket. Personally, I'm not a fan of "tac reloads."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I know that the more basic setup is becoming fashionable again, but for me at least the dumper is a training-only item so what happens with it is a non-issue. I'm not going back to it for partial magazines. If anything between drills I'm stripping leftover rounds out and creating full magazines to put back into my pouches.

FWIW, I put partial magazines feedlips-down, and empty magazines feedlips-up which helps me keep track of things on the range.
    Instead of stripping, I throw a couple of boxes of ammo in my dump pouch and use them to top off my partials during relays.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by S-1 View Post
    I don't use a dump pouch at work, while carrying my weapon concealed, at the range, or walking around in my comfy pants at home; so why would I use one while training?

When doing a tac reload, I store pistol mags in my belt line and the AR mags get thrown into a cargo pocket. Personally, I'm not a fan of "tac reloads."
    In the real world I am carrying two, three mags tops. In class, I try and carry at least seven. I can do without with a small number of mags but during class, they really shine.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    S-1,
    I think what (regular)guys are using them for is the same thing you are using your pocket for. Just a big, easy to use pocket thats always the same no matter what day it is or what pants you are wearing. I dont look at my dump pouch as part of my tactics or SOP. Its just a pocket to me. I do however understand a LEO/MIL using the belt line or pants because of their working situation. Someone in that profession needs to train that way.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast