Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *March* Aurora Sportsman's Club Practical Rifle Shoot

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

*March* Aurora Sportsman's Club Practical Rifle Shoot

(*Saturday 26/March/2011)

Guys,

John from the ASC has asked me to help out coming up with a course of fire for this months PRC. After hearing some of the requests for reloads during the last few matches that I attended, I thought I would come up with something that included reloads. I came up with a variation of the VTAC "50 yard aggregate".

*MODIFIED VTAC 50 YARD AGGREGATE:
    *Shooter will start out on the 50 yard line with three magazines loaded with (10) rounds each. The shooter will be instructed to "Load & make ready" with one of their magazines, and will stand-by in the "Low-Ready" position with their rifle on "SAFE". On the command to fire (shot timer beep), the shooter will:

*Assume a KNEELING position and fire 10 rounds on target. Once the shooters rifle shoots empty, they will immediately conduct a speed reload and place their weapon on "SAFE" before moving to the next position.

*The shooter will then assume a "SEATED" shooting position and again fire 10 rounds on target. When the rifle shoots empty, the shooter will conduct another speed reload with their final magazine and then place their rifle on "SAFE" prior to assuming the next position.

*The shooter will then assume a "PRONE" position and again fire 10 rounds on target. Once the rifle shoots empty, the RSO will watch as the shooter clears their weapon and makes their rifle "SAFE".

*Total of 30 rounds will be fired during the stage. Maximum score for the stage is 300. *All rounds will be fired from the 50 yard line.

*Target will be an 8 inch black circle: http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10094.pdf pasted or stapled onto a cardboard target.

*Any hits on the 8" black circle count for 10 points each. Any misses off of the 8" circle are a minus 10 point penalty. If Pecker wants to score the stage, I think it can be scored pretty easily with a calculation of the total points and the overall time for each shooter.

I think a good (fast) time for this drill will be around 90 seconds or less.

There is no video online of the regular VTAC "50 Yard Aggregate" that I can find, but suffice to say that you should practice getting into each position in a timely fashion. I think an 8" circle is a decent accuracy standard to adhere to for this drill, but it is not too tight. I think shooters from every skill level will take something away from this drill in-terms of what they may need to work on such as refining their position shooting, working on their accuracy, or speeding up their shooting cadence. Remember, only HITS count!

Keep in mind that I come from a LEO background, and not a ISPC or competition background. My shooting is focused more on balancing speed & accuracy with a priority on getting accurate hits on target.

*VTAC 1/2 & 1/2 DRILL:
    I also think the VTAC 1/2 & 1/2 drill is an excellent drill that we can run everyone thru. Here's a video of the 1/2 & 1/2 drill for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-oYRn_llgo
    I really like this drill because you can't just simply go up and blindly slap the trigger and expect to get your hits on the "A" zone of the target. You truly need to employ proper trigger control and track your sights for every round fired throughout each stage. Again, only HITS count.

I like running the "1/2 & 1/2" drill with three mags loaded with 10 rounds each. This keeps the round count easier to manage. When your rifle goes empty, you have fired all 10 rounds....Time to reload!

I am going to this Saturdays new member orientation and plan to join the ASC while im there. I hope to help John out with future Practical Rifle events, and I also hope to conduct some pistol and carbine training for interested members of the club. I also hope to arrange hosting some top tier instructors at the ASC in the near future for some open enrollment courses.

More general info about the Practical Rifle shoot can be found here: http://www.aurorasc.org/index.php?op...d=49&Itemid=90

I hope to see some of the M4C members show up this month for the Practical Rifle shoot. Great burgers afterwards at a local joint "Pub West" just down the road from the range.

Stay safe,
    Nick
    Last edited by nickdrak; 03-10-11 at 23:18.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Were you planning on having a couple more COF's besides the VTAC barrier?? I had a lot fun shooting last month but need a little more to get me back there due to the driving time. It's a great range that has a lot of potential once you get some training courses going and some more shooting sports...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by danish View Post
    Were you planning on having a couple more COF's besides the VTAC barrier?? I had a lot fun shooting last month but need a little more to get me back there due to the driving time. It's a great range that has a lot of potential once you get some training courses going and some more shooting sports...
    I dont think we are going to run the VTAC "9-Hole" barricade drill this month.

I am hoping to run the two cof's listed above in my original post, and I think John is going to set-up one more stage for a total of three. I will confirm with him and update here.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by danish View Post
    Sweet. I'll be on furlough. Now that I know about this and the weather is getting better, I'll see if I can make it. Danish is right, though. I would join ASC in a heartbeat if it weren't nearly a two hour drive. Events like this make it more appealling though.

Did they ever make progress on monthly dues as opposed to the lump sum payment? There was talk of it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markdh720 View Post
    Sweet. I'll be on furlough. Now that I know about this and the weather is getting better, I'll see if I can make it. Danish is right, though. I would join ASC in a heartbeat if it weren't nearly a two hour drive. Events like this make it more appealling though.

Did they ever make progress on monthly dues as opposed to the lump sum payment? There was talk of it.
    It only takes me about an hour and 15mins to get there from my house (Near 1-55/Harlem)

Still one lump sum, but they lowered the membership & initiation fees. I joined today and it cost me $520 for both. From now on my yearly membership fee is only $280. They prorate your membership fee down if you join later in the year like I did today.

I plan to lobby to get some top tier instructors out there for classes later this year. They have a 100, 200, or 600yd rifle range that can be rented for classes.

They also seem to be actively recruiting folks as they are constantly developing new ranges and uses for the land they have in Waterman.

Im gonna see how things go this year, and hopefully be back next year. At least now I have a damn place to shoot my AR's when I want to.
    Last edited by nickdrak; 03-15-11 at 22:37.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I was able to run the modified VTAC 50yd Aggregate a couple of times out at the ASC with the assistance of one of the PRC regulars who was also out there this morning (Thanks!).

I can pretty much guarantee this will be a challenging stage. I completely rushed my first run (64.63) with 4 misses just outside of the black. Way too fast. My second run was a little more what I expected on the time (93.62) with 2 misses. The big thing with this drill is getting your hits in an efficient time frame. In order to get your hits, you have to have your positions dialed in to the point where you can get into a really stable shooting position and your trigger control needs to be dialed in as well.

I have found that the kneeling position gives me the most fits as it does most of the other shooters I know who regularly shoot at distance from the kneeling. I use a slightly unconventional kneeling position where I sit on my back foot/lower leg and position my front leg across my body. I then place the back of the magazine against the outside portion of my front leg for stability. It is really easy to get frustrated and begin to slap the trigger due to the amount of movement or "wobble zone" you will have to deal with from the kneeling. You really need to break you shots off cleanly as your sights move onto the scoring zone. If you start to jerk or slap the trigger, it with jerk your sights right off of the scoring zone as you break the shot.

The seated shooting position is pretty stable, but the lower you get, the better from my experience. I like to sit with my body positioned on about a 45 degree angle away from the target with my legs crossed. I rest the back side (tricep) area of my arms on-top of my knees while getting as low as I can.

Prone is not surprisingly the most stable position. I like to use the "Tripod" method of stabilizing my position. Elbow, elbow, magazine. You can get really stable with this method, and unless you have a poorly built/functioning rifle or bad mags, placing the magazine on the ground will not cause any malfunctions.

I waiting to hear back from Pecker on whether we will also be running the stage I mentioned here with the (6) IPSC targets (2 shots on each), and one hit on steel to stop the clock. I think adding an unknown reload somewhere during the first portion of the drill will work out nicely on this drill.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Gents,

I saw Pecker tonite at the ASC meeting and we discussed the courses of fire for this Saturdays Practical Rifle. Looks like we will be running the three courses I posted up here in this thread:

*Modified VTAC 50yd Aggregate (30 rounds total: 3 magazines loaded with 10 rounds each)

*The 6 IPSC targets & 1 steel target stage (2 rounds on each IPSC at 25yds, and 1 round on the steel plate to stop the timer)

*VTAC 1/2 & 1/2 drill

I suggest practicing getting into your Kneeling, Sitting, and Prone positions before you get out there, and also focus on proper trigger control. If you are not familiar with the concept of proper "Trigger Control", I suggest you do some research. Proper "Trigger Control" is in my opinion the single most critical function of getting accurate hits on-target.

With all of the drills we will be shooting this Saturday, if you jerk or slap the trigger you will not get your hits. The last (5 yard/2.5 second) stage of the VTAC 1/2 & 1/2 drill will be intimidating for some shooters who have never shot it before. I can assure you that if you go up to the 5 yard line and just slap the trigger during this drill you will drop many of your shots out of the "A" zone, and in this drill along with the 50yd Aggregate, only hits count. If you have mastered the concept of proper Trigger Control, I can assure you that shooting 10 rounds into the "A" zone of an IPSC target in less than 2.5 seconds @ 5 yards is completely do-able.

I will be happy to demo each stage (live fire) before we have the group shoot it if you guys want. See y'all Saturday morning

Feedback Score
    Will you and/or ASC still be holding these events all summer?

I only ask because I've got a wicked cold and getting up at 6AM to get there in time doesn't sound appealing. I'd love to hang out and shoot in the cold with you guys ordinarily, but I can't hear right or breathe through my nose .

BTW, what is the ammo situation? Bring your own or does the club supply? I'm about to restock the stockpile.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    yep, they will be held on the fourth saturday of every month. You gotta bring your own ammo.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I am out for this month since I have an all classifier USPSA match on Sunday. Looking at my shooting calender for the summer, I see my usual three-gun match at the local club is the same weekend as the ASC matches so depending on my workload (and the g/f) the matches at ASC are going to hit-and-miss for me. Hopefully I will be able to shoot my (future) BCM middy 14.5" at an upcoming match...Have fun!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast