Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A few questions for the FFLs here

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Receivers logged in the bound book where I work are logged in as 'stripped rifle receivers' unless on the invoice they're marked as pistol receivers.

And then they're sold and logged out as such unless they were received as pistol receivers.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I appreciate everyone's responses. I bowed out of the original discussion on that other forum, as it was clearly a lost cause. I wasn't so much concerned with proving that I was right but rather with simply keeping anybody from getting into trouble. There was a whirlwind of misinformation going around over there and I'm sure some of them will wind up doing something illegal. All I got for my good intentions was headache. Maybe I'll have better luck next time.

Thanks again for the help and the information.

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    We ask the buyer the intended end result and mark the form accordingly.
    In the description box we mark "receiver only" in the same box with the Manufacturer name.

Remember too, if you mark the 4473 that the receiver will be used to build a handgun and you sell to buyer 21 years or older, the receiver can also be used at any time to build a rifle instead of a pistol, this is not illegal.
    However,if you mark the form as a rifle, the buyer cannot at any time use the receiver to build a pistol version of an AR, this would be a violation of Federal law.
    There is a Federal statute preventing a rifle from being converted into a handgun unless you have a manufacturers exemption licensing permit from the BATFE and those are not easy to aquire any longer.

The whole thing gets complicated and I sometimes think this is done to trip up dealers.
    If you really want to play it safe, mark the form as "both", make sure the buyer is 21 years or older and sell the receiver as you would a handgun, same waiting period and so forth.
    This however, may not be prudent or desireable in states that make purchasing a handgun a nightmare of state red tape.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12