Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which reticle in S&B ShortDot?

Feedback Score

Question Which reticle in S&B ShortDot?

Hello guys,
    my name is Daniel and i´m from Germany, so please excuse my bad english.

I tested many, many scopes for my AR-15 and i came to the conclusion, that i want the S&B ShortDot.

But i´m not sure about the reticle. The Short Dot that i handled, had the CQB reticle. It was good at 1x but at 4x i found it a little bit busy. I don´t need Mil´s in a 4x scope.
    But i have no chance to look at the ShortDot with the No.7 reticle.
    http://www.schmidtbender.com/reticlesPM.htm

Please give me an advise about the reticle selection.

Thanks,
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    Daniel, I've used a few optics in my time, and I came to the same conclusion. I love mine, and it's definately a top quality piece of glass.

If you think the CQB reticle is too busy, the #7 is indeed a good choice. Since I use the 4X to identify things at close ranges more than I use it to range, the #7 would probably be a better choice for me. However, I do (personal preference) like the ability to range things further out in a pinch and the CQB reticle doesn't seem to slow me down any, so I'm going to stick with it for the time being.

By the way, your English is much better than my German
    Save the Pandas!

-Tally Fortenberry
    -Capco Small Arms Research Group

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is a tough question considering most of us only have actual experience with the reticle we own. I have only personally seen four Short Dots and all were CQB's. Any discussion on my part about the other reticle styles will be based on nothing more than checking them out on the Internet.

That being said, I really do not see any earth shattering difference between the CQB & No.7. The CQB has the Mil scale and the No.7 has a thicker black line.

CQB reticle:

No.7 reticle:

A lot of this is based on nothing tangible but it seems to me that if your finding the CQB “Busy” on 4x the No.7 isn’t really going to help all that much. The No.7’s duplex style lines are still going to be in your FOV and you gain nothing from having them. With the CQB reticle you at least still have the capability of ranging even though it’s not going to be used often. It’s just another plus that helps to make the Short Dot so versatile.

In short, I’m going to be sticking with the CQB reticle until I can discuss it in-depth with somebody who knows far more about it. I think I know two individuals who fit that description.

Over 75% of the guys who handled or shot my Short Dot usually came from two different sides of the fence. One was the Aimpoint/Eotech experienced guys who after shooting the short dot sometimes comment that the scope is “Busy” on 4x and that the Mil-scale cannot even be seen on 1x. I always tell them that is the point. On 1x your not suppose to be able to see the Mil scale. It was designed to mimic an Aimpoint on 1x. Are you going to be ranging anything on 1x anyway? On 2x-4x the Mil-scale gradually comes more and more into focus. You can choose to ignore it (Similar to using fixed rear sights with an Aimpoint – with time & practice it will not bother you) or you can simply switch off the red dot and the optic like you would any Mil-Dot scope on 4X. It’s all about versatility.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    You are not alone, by any stretch. I also intend to purchase a Short Dot (when finances allow), and am torn on reticle choices. Unfortunately, the obscurity of the Short dot (due, in no small way, to price) means we can't just go to the range and hope, let alone know, that we can stumble on one that we can peer through. Perhaps the only good news is that should you try one and not like the reticle, you'll have no problem selling it for a minimal loss (if any).

Feedback Score
    First, I will thank you for the answers.

I see the biggest advantage in the No.7 Reticle that, if the battery is dead and you need a sight for 1x
    you will have bigger lines which (maybe) can bee better seen as the CQB reticle.

But another thing to think about. Now the ShortDot 2 is in the line.
    It is a Zenith 1.1-4x24 with a second focal reticle and no blue tint on the glass. In the USA it is called Short Dot 2 for marketing purposes, here in Germany it is "only" a modfied Zenith.

Do you Pro´s think that this scope will be a progress or a backward step? For me, the loss of the blue tint is very good. This is a thing, that I don´t like about the ShortDot 1. But a second focal reticle?
    For me the advantage of the ShortDot is, that the reticle is very small on 1x and the dot clearly visible (nearly an Aimpoint). And then you turn on 4x and you have a “normal” Scope.
    But with the second focal reticle you have always a big reticle. I think for myself, that the view is to obstructed for fast aiming.
    What is your opinion?

Thanks,
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Daniel,

A lot of this comes down to personal preferences and the type of shooting you will use the Short Dot for.

I actually like the CQB reticle. I use the Short Dot at work as a law enforcement officer and will also use it at monthly rifle matches, where we shoot at distances from 1 meter to over 400 meters. The hash marks and mil dots on the CQB reticle can be used for hold over and wind. I am in the process of (by trial and error) finding out what has marks work best at different distances. If I weren't shooting at longer distances, I may not have a preference toward the CQB reticle.

I have found that when shooting under stress that I find reticles to be a lot less busy, than what I initally thought. When I first got my US Optics SN3 with the Horus H-25 reticle, I thought the reticle was very busy. But when shooting in a match under stress I found that the reticle wasn't that busy because I was concentrated on the target, trying to figure out the distance in my mind, and putting the approiate hold over hash mark on the target.

I have heard many complaints about the blue tint, but I barely notice it unless I'm wearing sun glasses. As I stated above everyone's personal preferences are different and what may bother one shooter, may go unnoticed by another.

Take care and stay safe,
    Jeff

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel-Mark
    For me, the loss of the blue tint is very good. This is a thing, that I don´t like about the ShortDot 1.
    I know we read allot about the "Blue tint", but I have never even noticed it myself. I would bet 99% of the guys who even mention it have never been within ten miles of an actual Short Dot. Trust me, the concern about it is over hyped beyond belief.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_Dinger
    I know we read allot about the "Blue tint", but I have never even noticed it myself. I would bet 99% of the guys who even mention it have never been within ten miles of an actual Short Dot. Trust me, the concern about it is over hyped beyond belief.

I agree with this 100%. The only times I notice the blue tint is when I'm indoors or wearing sunglasses.

Feedback Score
    I do not recall ever being aware of a tint on it until I started seeing it being mentioned. And even then, it was like "oh, ok."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus
    I do not recall ever being aware of a tint on it until I started seeing it being mentioned. And even then, it was like "oh, ok."
    Yes, you are right. If u don´t know it, you won´t see it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast