Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which reticle in S&B ShortDot?

Feedback Score
    I don't completely understand the whole short dot appeal. At it's time, it was one of only a few durable and high end optics available for CQB/intermediate range... It's expensive, has a cramped FOV, and is not true 1x, which made me feel a little awkward, as I'm left eye dominant but shoot right handed (and also why I prefer the PVS-7 over the PVS-14)...

I admit, I really liked the generous eye relief, but the reticle didn't do much for me... of course I still drooled over it, it IS a Schmidt & Bender, but I'm much happier with my Elcan Specter DR purchase. It's truly the ideal optic for me, though if I was a PVS-14 user it probably wouldn't be my optic of choice, but neither would the Short Dot.

Feedback Score
    Can anyone explain the 2nd focal plane reticle issue with POI changes? I'm not sure I understand it correctly and if it's a problem with the new S&B's or not.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In three units that I know of that tested the Spectre - all three noticed zero shift changed from 1x to 4x. This will likley not occur in a civilian use scope that is not fast roped or jumped -- but be aware that the NightForce and S&B held in a Larue mount are not having this issue.

I dont notice a difference in the 1.1x setting and using an Aimpoint -- with both eyes open the FOV issue to me is negligable.

But then I'm a S&B cool aid drinker
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post

...I dont notice a difference in the 1.1x setting and using an Aimpoint -- with both eyes open the FOV issue to me is negligable.

But then I'm a S&B cool aid drinker

If anything, I felt like the FOV with the Short Dot at 1.1x was better than with an Aimpoint. With an Aimpoint, you get a definite "looking through a tunnel" feeling, but with the S&B, the scope just sort of seemed to disappear.

Everybody's eyeballs are different, I guess. I'm also the only person I've ever heard of that felt like the S&B's optics were pretty darned crappy for a $2k scope.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123