Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Federal "Flight Control Loads" Anybody tried them?

Feedback Score

Reduced Recoil loads

FWIW: Reduced recoil loads may not be 100% reliable in semi-auto's, especially when they are dirty. I had a problem years ago with the original Federal tactical 00 in a loaner SGT 14" 11-87. It was a neat package, but needed to be worked on to get it to work with the RR load.

John
    Good shooting!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Aherne View Post
    The Flite Control wads and 8 pellet loads have made the Vang Comp system obsolete for most users. You just don't need it with these loads.
    My feeling exactly!

Also...the Remington "Limb Saver" recoil pad makes the Vang Comp even less needed becuase it tames recoil very well.

All this said...I am a Hans Vang fan. I just think technology has caught up to his solution, as it always does.

Feedback Score
    There is nothing wrong with a shotgun set-up by Hans vang & Co. In fact, the reliability mods they do with followers, mag extensions and safetys are more important, in my opinion, than the Vang comping on the barrel. Especially, with the availability of these eight pellet 00B loads that group so tightly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Aherne View Post
    There is nothing wrong with a shotgun set-up by Hans vang & Co. In fact, the reliability mods they do with followers, mag extensions and safetys are more important, in my opinion, than the Vang comping on the barrel. Especially, with the availability of these eight pellet 00B loads that group so tightly.

You're right...There isn't anything wrong with a Vang Comp setup.

However...everything that Hans does in his shop can be done in your home EXCEPT the porting, and back-bore that he is famous for. I've had his guns, and they are GTG.

The Vang Safety, Mag Extension, SS Follower, shortened stocks, forends w/ or w/o the SF Forend, side saddles etc. do not require a gunsmiths installation. So, if you feel you need a Vang Comp modification to the barrel, just send him the barrel and save the money you would be charged for adding in the "Drop In" accessories. I think it's around $275 for both the porting and back boring. This would easily pay for all of your accessories, except the SF Forend (highly recommended), and some ammo to practice with.

I don't advocate a Ghost Ring sight system as the accuracy needed to consistently hit something like a head shot at 50 yds. isn't there. Again, I have played with this for a long time before opting for a rifle sighted IC barrel. Many of the pros use either one based on personal preference, but I'm just as fast and "More Accurate" with the rifle sighted barrel. About $105.00 from Remington. As always with a "Scattergun"...the proper fit is the important criteria.

After testing the Flite Control loads (both high velocity, and low recoil) I feel there is no need for the porting or back boring unless you are extremely sensitive to recoil, which I am not.

Feedback Score
    For me it's a catch 22. I have tight patterning loads but by an large I prefer a shotgun for what its good for a good spread. If I want super tight patterns ie., Vang Comp or flight control I'll just use my one of my Ar's.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin 1759

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    For me it's a catch 22. I have tight patterning loads but by an large I prefer a shotgun for what its good for a good spread. If I want super tight patterns ie., Vang Comp or flight control I'll just use my one of my Ar's.
    Just as long as you can "account" for all your pellets in the "spread". That's why tight patterns are desired. Fliers mean that someone could catch a stray that is not intended for the projectile to hit. It's the 9, .33 caliber, 25 gn. projectiles that do the damage....... all into the target. Very devastating.

Don't get me wrong...my AR with 75 Gn. TAP is my primary weapon for CQB, but the 12 Ga. with proper loads (like the Federal 00127, or 00132) in the hands of someone who knows how to use it like Rob Haught is a close second. Much more so than my "Poodle Shooter". aka 1911 in 45 ACP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    Just as long as you can "account" for all your pellets in the "spread". That's why tight patterns are desired. Fliers mean that someone could catch a stray that is not intended for the projectile to hit. It's the 9, .33 caliber, 25 gn. projectiles that do the damage....... all into the target. Very devastating.

Don't get me wrong...my AR with 75 Gn. TAP is my primary weapon for CQB, but the 12 Ga. with proper loads (like the Federal 00127, or 00132) in the hands of someone who knows how to use it like Rob Haught is a close second. Much more so than my "Poodle Shooter". aka 1911 in 45 ACP.

Believe me I realize all the pellets "have your name on them". Hence when on duty I am issued Hornady TAP loads. Though if in the sticks or in my home ie., by myself I'd rather have a little more spread. Regardless 9 00 buck is good stuff tight pattern or not. +1 on Rob Haught btw. I prefer slugs for car stops, or large animals other than that I grab the AR.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin 1759

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Any reason to pick 8 pellets over 9?

Feedback Score

Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by PLCedeno View Post
    Any reason to pick 8 pellets over 9?
    I wonder if it has to do with the size & construction of the wad, and the way the pellets are stacked in the wad?

John
    Good shooting!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John Fettes View Post
    I wonder if it has to do with the size & construction of the wad, and the way the pellets are stacked in the wad?

John
    I took one apart, and unless you were to reduce the caliber of each pellet, a
    9th pellet will not fit. Even with less plastic "Buffer Granules' which are minimal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12